The B.A. in Early Childhood Education is designed to prepare students for certification from the Florida Department of Education for Prekindergarten/Primary (age 3 to grade 3), as well as Prekindergarten/Disability endorsement. Coursework and extensive field experiences enable students to dynamically integrate theory and teaching practices. Competencies include content-specific knowledge applicable to the unique developmental needs of this age population including a thorough understanding of cultural diversity, individual differences, and skills to work with children in individual ways, particularly English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) students; and an emphasis on capabilities of teachers to work with children with atypical abilities and special needs.
Program Admission Requirements
- An overall GPA of 2.5 on all hours attempted.
- Pass all subsections of the FTCE General Knowledge Test or Praxis I. No exemptions can be considered.
- Satisfy all General Education requirements.
- Satisfy Communication and Computation Skills.
- Satisfy common prerequisite requirements.
- FGCU General Education Program (GEP) (36 hrs)
Refer to the General Education Program for more information.
- Communication (6 hrs)
- Mathematics (6 hrs)
- Humanities (9 hrs)
- Social Sciences (6-9 hrs)
- Natural Sciences (6-9 hrs)
Note: At least one Natural Sciences course must include a laboratory or field component. Courses meeting this requirement contain a “C” or “L” in their course numbers. Each combined lecture and laboratory course (marked with a C) is equivalent to taking the lecture and laboratory separately.
- Common Prerequisites (variable)*
- EDF 2005* Intro to Teach Prof (3)
- EDF 2085* Intro to Diversity for Educ (3)
- EME 2040* Intro to Tech for Educ (3)
In addition to EDF 2085, a minimum of 6 hrs with an international or diversity focus is required. Eligible courses will be determined by the community college or university where the student is currently earning the Associate of Arts or baccalaureate degree. Foreign language courses may be used to meet this requirement.
*Courses must be completed with a minimum grade of C or better.
- Required Courses in the Major (66 hrs)
The following course sequence assumes a fall start with full-time attendance. Students beginning in spring or summer or attending part-time should see a College of Education Advisor.
- Block 1
- EDF 3201 Diversity of Human Experience (6)
- EDG 3201 Professional Studies (6)
- IDS 3920 University Colloquium (see below)
- Block 2
- EDG 4371 Creative & Affective Development (3)
- MAE 4310 Math Content & Process (3)
- EEX 4201 Young Children with Special Needs (3)
(offered only in the spring)
- RED 4310 Early Learning Literacy (3)
- TSL 4520 Second Language Acquisition, Communication & Culture (3)
- Block 3
- EEC 3268 Play, Development & Assessment (3) (offered only in the spring and summer)
- EEC 4307 Cognitive Experiences for Young Children (3) (offered only in the fall and summer)
- SSE 4343 Social Sciences and Humanities (3)
- RED 4350 Literacy Content and Processes (3)
- Block 4
- EDE 4304 Integrated Mathematics & Science (3)
- EEC 4942 Integrated Field Experience-Early Childhood (3)
- EEX 4221 Educational Assessment of Exceptional Students (3)
- TSL 4340 Methods, Curriculum & Instructional Effectiveness (3)
- LAE 4416 Children's Literature (3)
- Block 5
- EDG 4937 Senior Seminar (3)
- EEC 4940 Internship: Early Childhood (9)
- University Requirements (3 hrs)
- IDS 3920 University Colloquium (3)
- Additional Electives (variable)
Additional electives may be required to reach a minimum of 129 credit hours for the baccalaureate degree.
TOTAL SEMESTER HOURS REQUIRED: 129 HRS
Additional Graduation Requirements
- A grade of C or higher in all College of Education (COE) courses with an overall GPA of 2.5 in all COE coursework and in all coursework attempted.
- Pass the Florida Teacher Certification Examinations (FTCE), including the subject area examination and the Professional Education examination.
- A minimum of 48 upper division hours (courses numbered 3000 and higher).
- Complete 32 of the last 60 hours at FGCU.
- Satisfy foreign language admission requirement.
- Satisfy Service Learning requirement. www.fgcu.edu/connect/
- In order to register for courses in Block 2, students must be admitted to the College of Education (See Program Admission Requirements).
- In order to be placed in the Block 4 Integrated Field Experience, students must pass the FTCE Professional Education Test.
- In order to be placed in a Block 5 Final Internship, students must have taken the FTCE Subject Area Exam.
- Students will not graduate until all required tests of the Florida Teacher Certification Exam are passed.
Transfer Notes and Acceptable Substitutes
The COE limits the transfer of coursework into its upper-division, undergraduate programs. To be considered, courses must have been completed with a minimum grade of C and no more than five years prior to the date of entry into the College of Education undergraduate program.
- EDF 2005: may substitute EDF X005 (3)
- EDF 2085: may substitute EDF X085 (3)
- EME 2040: may substitute EME X040 (3)
For All Majors: Students are strongly encouraged to select required lower division electives that will enhance their general education coursework and that will support their intended baccalaureate degree program. Students should consult with an academic advisor in their major degree area.
The information contained in this catalog excerpt is intended for informational purposes only. Every effort is made to provide this information as accurately as possible at the time of publication; however, the university reserves the right to revise any section or part without notice or obligation. Printed on: 3/31/2015.