The B.A. in Early Childhood Education is designed to prepare students for certification from the Florida Department of Education for Prekindergarten/Primary (age 3 to grade 3), as well as Prekindergarten/Disability endorsement. Coursework and extensive field experiences enable students to dynamically integrate theory and teaching practices. Competencies include content-specific knowledge applicable to the unique developmental needs of this age population including a thorough understanding of cultural diversity, individual differences, and skills to work with children in individual ways, particularly English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) students; and an emphasis on capabilities of teachers to work with children with atypical abilities and special needs.
Program Progression And Additional Graduation Requirements
Degree-seeking students are classified as pre-majors prior to formal transition into a COE major. In order to transition from a COE pre-major to a major, students must complete the following:
- An overall GPA of 2.5 on all hours attempted.
- Pass all subsections of the FTCE General Knowledge Test. No exemptions can be considered.
- Satisfy all General Education requirements.
- Satisfy College-Level Skills requirements.
- Satisfy common prerequisite requirements.
- Successfully complete a background check.
- Obtain liability insurance for field experiences in the PreK-12 schools.
Students must have passed the FTCE Subject Area Exam prior to beginning Level I Internship.
Students must complete all coursework and have passed the FTCE Professional Education Exam prior to beginning Level II Internship.
In addition to the program requirements, students must complete:
- Pass the Florida Teacher Certification Examinations (FTCE), including the subject area examination and the Professional Education examination.
- A minimum of 48 upper division credits (courses numbered 3000 and higher).
- Complete 30 of the last 60 credits at FGCU.
- A cumulative GPA of 2.0 for all coursework attempted at FGCU.
- Satisfy College-Level skills and foreign language admission requirements.
- Satisfy Service Learning requirement. www.fgcu.edu/connect/
To prevent or minimize excess hours, select general education courses that satisfy common prerequisite requirements for your intended major.
- FGCU General Education Program (http://www.fgcu.edu/general_education/)
- Common Prerequisites
A minimum grade of C is required in each course.
FGCU Course: EDF 2005 Intro to Teach Prof (3)
Acceptable Substitute: EDFX005
- Courses in the Major
A minimum grade of C in each course and an overall GPA of 2.5 is required.
Required Courses (57 credits)
EDF 3253 Learning Mgmt Inclusive Class (3)
EDF 4112 Child Growth & Development (3)
EDG 3323 Professional Teaching Practice (3)
EDG 4371 Creative & Affective Develpmnt (3)
EDG 4937 Sr Seminar-Initial Teach Prep (3)
EEC 3268 Play Development & Assessment (3)
EEC 4307 Cognitive Exp for Yng Children (3)
EEC 4940 Internship: Early Childhood (9)
EEC 4942 Integrated Field Exp. - EC (3)
EEX 4201 Young Children with Spec Needs (3)(offered only in the spring)
EEX 4221 Educ Assess ofExceptional Stud (3)
MAE 4310 Math Content & Processes (3)
RED 4310 Early Literacy Learning (3)
RED 4350 Literacy Content & Processes (3)
TSL 3080 Foundations of ESOL (3)
TSL 4340 Methods, Cur and Instr Effect (3)
TSL 4520 Sec Lang Acquis Comm& Culture (3)
- University Requirements (3 credits)
IDS 3920 University Colloquium (3)
- Additional Electives - as needed to reach total credits required for the degree
TOTAL CREDITS REQUIRED: 120
The information contained in this catalog excerpt is intended for informational purposes only. Every effort is made to provide this information as accurately as possible at the time of publication; however, the university reserves the right to revise any section or part without notice or obligation. Printed on: 6/23/2017.