The B.A. in Elementary Education is designed to prepare students for teaching in Florida's elementary schools and for certification by the Florida Department of Education as elementary school teachers (K through grade six). The program of study includes coursework and extensive experience in elementary school settings throughout the FGCU five-county service area (Charlotte, Collier, Glades, Hendry, and Lee) to enable students to integrate theory with teaching practice.
Program Admission Requirements
- An overall GPA of 2.5 on all hours attempted.
- Pass all subsections of the FTCE General Knowledge Test. No exemptions can be considered.
- Satisfy all General Education requirements.
- Satisfy College-Level Skills requirement.
- Satisfy common prerequisite requirements.
- Successfully complete a background check.
- Obtain liability insurance for field experiences in the PreK-12 schools.
To prevent or minimize excess hours, select general education courses that satisfy common prerequisite requirements for your intended major.
- FGCU General Education Program (http://www.fgcu.edu/general_education/)
- Common Prerequisites
A minimum grade of C is required in each course
FGCU Course: EDF 2005 Intro to Teach Prof
Acceptable Substitute: EDFX005
FGCU Course: EDF 2085 Intro to Diversity for Educ
Acceptable Substitute: EDFX085
FGCU Course: EME 2040 Intro to Tech in Educ.
Acceptable Substitute: EMEX040
In addition to EDF 2085, a minimum of 6 hrs with an international or diversity focus is required. Eligible courses will be determined by the community college or university where the student is currently earning the Associate of Arts or baccalaureate degree. Foreign language courses may be used to meet this requirement.
- Courses in the Major
A minimum grade of C is required in each course and an overall GPA of 2.5 is required.
Required Courses (54 credits)
EDE 4940 Internship: Elementary Ed (9)
EDE 4942 Integrated Field Exp; Elem. Ed (3)
EDF 3253 Learning Mgmt Inclusive Class (3)
EDF 4112 Child Growth and Development (3)
EDF 4470 Classroom Assessment (3)
EDG 3323 Professional Teaching Practice (3)
EDG 4937 Sr Seminar-Initial Teach Prep (3)
EEX 4070 Integrat Except Stud in Gen Ed (3)
MAE 4310 Math Content & Processes (3)
RED 4310 Early Literacy Learning (3)
RED 4350 Literacy Content and Processes (3)
SCE 4310 Science Methods (3)
SSE 4343 Social Sciences and Humanities (3)
TSL 3080 Foundations of ESOL (3)
TSL 4340 Methods, Cur, & Instr Effect (3)
TSL 4520 Sec Lang Acquis Comm& Culture (3)
Restricted Electives (3 credits)
EEC 3268 Play Development & Assessment (3)
EEC 4307 Cognitive Exp for Yng Children (3)
LAE 4416 Children’s Literature (3)
- University Requirements (3 credits)
IDS 3920 University Colloquium (3)
- Additional Electives - as needed to reach total credits required for the degree
TOTAL SEMESTER HOURS REQUIRED: 120 HRS
Additional Graduation Requirements
- Pass the Florida Teacher Certification Examinations (FTCE), including the subject area examinations and the Professional Education examination.
- A minimum of 48 upper division credits (courses numbered 3000 and higher).
- Complete 30 of the last 60 credits at FGCU.
- Satisfy College-Level skills and foreign language admission requirements.
- Satisfy Service Learning requirement: www.fgcu.edu/connect/
- Candidates must have passed the FTCE Subject Area Exam prior to beginning Level I Internship.
- Candidates must complete all coursework and have passed the FTCE Professional Education Exam prior to beginning Level II Internship.
The information contained in this catalog excerpt is intended for informational purposes only. Every effort is made to provide this information as accurately as possible at the time of publication; however, the university reserves the right to revise any section or part without notice or obligation. Printed on: 2/26/2017.