The B.S. in Finance develops the analytical and behavioral skills necessary for success in dynamic and diverse domestic and global financial environments. Students are introduced to the theory, concepts, applications, institutional environment, and analytical tools essential for proper decision making. Courses are designed to provide students with an understanding of the relationship between business finance and the economic system in the context of the management decision-making process. The appropriate use of technology, new organizational structures, entrepreneurial thinking, and international awareness is integrated throughout the program. The goal of the finance program is to impart knowledge and competence in finance that will prepare students for entry-level and leadership positions in public and private organizations such as financial management, banking, investments, and real estate.
Program Admission Requirements
Admission to Florida Gulf Coast University does not guarantee acceptance into a Lutgert College of Business (LCOB) major. Degree-seeking students are classified as pre-majors prior to formal acceptance into a LCOB major. As pre-majors, students may enroll in lower level (1000-2999) courses to satisfy General Education and Common Prerequisite requirements; lower level electives; and Business Common Core courses, except GEB 4890, if course prerequisites are met. Pre-majors may not enroll in upper level (3000-4999) courses for the major.
The following criteria must be met prior to formal acceptance as a LCOB major:
- Admission to FGCU as a degree seeking student in good academic standing.
- Attendance at a Freshman Transition Workshop or Transfer Student Orientation session.
- Completion of all Common Prerequisites with a minimum grade of C or higher in each course.
Note: Students must earn a grade of B or higher in ACG 2021, ACG 2071, and CGS 1100 in order to enroll in certain upper division accounting courses.
- Completion of 50 earned hours of courses with a minimum GPA of 2.0.
To prevent or minimize excess hours, select general education courses that satisfy common prerequisite requirements for your intended major.
- FGCU General Education Program (http://www.fgcu.edu/general_education/)
- Common Prerequisites
A minimum grade of C is required in each course.
FGCU Course: ACG 2021 Intro to Financial Accounting (3)
Acceptable Substitute: ACGX021 or ACGX022 or (ACGX001 and ACGX011)
FGCU Course: ACG 2071 Intro to Managerial Accounting (3)
Acceptable Substitute: ACGX071 or ACGX301
FGCU Course: CGS 1100 Computer Software and Technology (3)
Acceptable Substitute: CGSX100 or CGSX100C or CGSX530 or CGSX570 or CGSX060 orCGSX531 or CGSX000 or ISMX000 or CGSX518
FGCU Course: ECO 2013 Principles of Macro Economics (3)
Acceptable Substitute: ECOX013
FGCU Course: ECO 2023 Principles of Micro Economics ()
Acceptable Substitute: ECOX023
FGCU Course: MAC 2233 Elementary Calculus (3)
Acceptable Substitute: MACX233 or MACX230
FGCU Course: STA 2023 Statistical Methods (3)
Acceptable Substitute: STAX023 or STAX122 or QMBX100
- Business Common Core (27 credits)
BUL 3130 Legal & Ethical Environment of Bus (3)
FIN 3403 Business Finance (3)*
ISM 3011 Information Systems (3)
MAN 3025 Principles of Management (3)
TRA 3151 Operations Management (3)
MAR 3023 Introduction to Marketing (3)
GEB 4890 Business Strategy (capstone) (3)
ENC 3250 Professional Writing (3)
SPC 2023 Public Speaking (3)
*Students must earn a grade of B or higher in order to enroll in upper division finance courses.
- Required Courses in the Major (21 credits)
FIN 3244 Money & Capital Markets (3)
FIN 3414 Financial Management (3)
FIN 3504 Principles of Investments (3)
FIN 4443 Financial Policy/Sr Seminar (3)
FIN 4514 Security Analysis (3)
Select one of the following:
ECO 3410 Econometrics I (3)
QMB 3302 Business Analytics (3)
Select one of the following:
REE 3103 Valuation of Real Property (3)
REE 3303 Real Estate Inv Decision Mking (3)
REE 4204 Real Estate Finance (3)
REE 4930 Special Topics in Real Estate (3)
- Restricted Electives (6 credits)
Select 6 credits of approved upper division (3-4999 level) electives in Economics, Finance, Real Estate, or Taxation. See college advisor for a list of approved courses.
- University Requirements (3 credits)
IDS 3920 University Colloquium (3)
- Additional Electives - as needed to reach total credits required for the degree
TOTAL SEMESTER HOURS REQUIRED: 120 HRS
Additional Graduation Requirements
- Complete a minimum of 120 credits, with at least 48 hours at the upper division (3-4000 level).
- Earn a grade of C or higher in the Common Prerequisites, Business Common Core, Required Courses in the Major, and Restricted Electives.
- Complete the last 30 credits of business courses at FGCU.
- Complete a minimum of 12 credits of courses in the major at FGCU.
- Earn a cumulative GPA of 2.0 for all coursework attempted at FGCU.
- Satisfy College-Level Skills and foreign language entrance requirements.
- Satisfy Service Learning requirement. See http://www.fgcu.edu/connect/
- Complete the standardized business knowledge assessment exam administered during the last semester in GEB 4890 Business Strategy.
The information contained in this catalog excerpt is intended for informational purposes only. Every effort is made to provide this information as accurately as possible at the time of publication; however, the university reserves the right to revise any section or part without notice or obligation. Printed on: 12/6/2016.