Program Progression And Additional Graduation Requirements
Degree-seeking students are classified as pre-majors prior to formal transition into a COE major. In order to transition from a COE pre-major to a major, students must complete the following:
- An overall GPA of 2.5 on all hours attempted.
- Pass all subsections of the FTCE General Knowledge Test. No exemptions can be considered.
- Satisfy all General Education requirements.
- Satisfy College-Level Skills requirements.
- Satisfy common prerequisite requirements.
- Successfully complete a background check.
- Obtain liability insurance for field experiences in the PreK-12 schools.
Students must have passed the FTCE Subject Area Exam prior to beginning Level I Internship.
Students must complete all coursework and have passed the FTCE Professional Education Exam prior to beginning Level II Internship.
In addition to the program requirements, students must complete:
- Pass the Florida Teacher Certification Examinations (FTCE), including the subject area examination and the Professional Education examination.
- A minimum of 48 upper division credits (courses numbered 3000 and higher).
- Complete 30 of the last 60 credits at FGCU.
- A cumulative GPA of 2.0 for all coursework attempted at FGCU.
- Satisfy College-Level skills and foreign language admission requirements.
- Satisfy Service Learning requirement. www.fgcu.edu/connect/
To prevent or minimize excess hours, select general education courses that satisfy common prerequisite requirements for your intended major.
- FGCU General Education Program (http://www.fgcu.edu/general_education/)
- Common Prerequisites
A minimum grade of C is required in each course
FGCU Course: EDF 2005 Intro to Teach Prof (3)
Acceptable Substitute: EDFX005
FGCU Course: MAC 2311 Calculus I (4)
Acceptable Substitute: MACX311
FGCU Course: MAC 2312 Calculus II (4)
Acceptable Substitute: MACX312
FGCU Course: MAC 2313 Calculus III (4)
Acceptable Substitute: MACXXXX or MTGXXXX or MASXXXX
- Courses in the Major
A minimum grade of C in each course and a GPA of 2.5 is required.
Required Courses (51 credits)
EDF 3132 Adolescent Growth & Dev (3)
EDF 3253 Learning Mgmt in the Inclusive Classroom (3)
EDF 4470 Classroom Assessment (3)
EDG 4937 Sr Seminar-Initial Teach Prep (3)
EEX 4070 Integrat Except Stud in Gen Ed (3)
MAE 4152 Math Methods 6-12 (3)
MAE 4940 Internship: Mathematics Educ. (9)
MAE 4942 Integr Field Experience: Math (3)
MAP 2302 Differential Equations (3)
MAS 3105 Linear Algebra (3)
MHF 2191 Mathematical Foundations (3)
MHF 4404 History of Math (3)
RED 4350 Literacy Content & Processes (3)
TSL 4340 Methods, Cur and Instr Effect (3)
TSL 4520 Sec Lang Acquis Comm& Culture (3)
Restricted Electives* (6 credits)
Select from the following with approval of the college academic advisor:
MAA 4226 Analysis I (3)*
MAD 3107 Discrete Mathematics (3)
MAD 4401 Numerical Analysis (3)
MAP 3161 Math for Science & Engineering (4)
MAP 3162 Probability & Statistics (4)
MAP 3163 Operations Research I (3)
MAS 4301 Abstract Algebra I (3)*
MHF 4404 History of Math (3)
STA 3163 Applied Statistics (3)
STA 4234 Intro. to Regression Analysis (3)
*Recommended for candidates who may wish to pursue 18 graduate credits or more in math.
- University Requirements (3 credits)
IDS 3920 University Colloquium (3)
TOTAL CREDITS REQUIRED: 120
The information contained in this catalog excerpt is intended for informational purposes only. Every effort is made to provide this information as accurately as possible at the time of publication; however, the university reserves the right to revise any section or part without notice or obligation. Printed on: 5/26/2017.