The B.A. in Secondary Education offers three majors:
- Biology (6-12 grades)
- Mathematics (6-12 grades)
- Social Science (6-12 grades)
Field experiences are central to the Secondary Education program and commence in the first semester with increasing involvement throughout the program.
Program Admission Requirements
- An overall GPA of 2.5 on all hours attempted.
- Pass all subsections of the FTCE General Knowledge Test or Praxis I. No exemptions can be considered.
- Satisfy General Education requirements.
- Satisfy Communication and Computation Skills.
- Satisfy common prerequisite requirements.
- FGCU General Education Program (GEP) (36 hrs)
Refer to the General Education Program for more information.
- Communication (6 hrs)
- Mathematics (6 hrs)
- Humanities (9 hrs)
- Social Sciences (6-9 hrs)
- Natural Sciences (6-9 hrs)
Note: At least one Natural Sciences course must include a laboratory or field component. Courses meeting this requirement contain a “C” or “L” in their course numbers. Each combined lecture and laboratory course (marked with a C) is equivalent to taking the lecture and laboratory separately.
- Common Prerequisites (variable)*
- EDF 2005* Intro toTeach Prof (3)
- EDF 2085* Intro to Diversity for Educ (3)
- EME 2040* Intro to Tech for Educ (3)
- In addition to EDF 2085, a minimum of 6 hrs with an international or diversity focus is required. Eligible courses will be determined by the community college or university where the student is currently earning the Associate of Arts or baccalaureate degree. Foreign language courses may be used to meet this requirement.
- Other program prerequisites:
- MAC 2311 Calculus I (4 hrs)
- MAC 2312 Calculus II (4 hrs)
- MAC 2313 Calculus III (4 hrs)
*Courses must be completed with a minimum grade of C or better.
- Required Courses in the Major (51 hrs)
The following course sequence assumes a fall start with full-time attendance. Students beginning in spring or summer or attending part-time should see a College of Education Advisor.
- EDF 3132 Adolescent Growth & Dev (3)
- EDF 3253 Learning Mgmt in the Inclusive Classroom (3)
- EDF 4470 Classroom Assessment (3)
- EDG 4937 Senior Seminar Initial Teacher Prep (3)
- EEX 4070 Integrating Excep Students in Reg Ed (3)
- MAE 4152 Math Methods 6-12 (3)
- MAE 4940 Internship Mathematics Ed (9)
- MAE 4942 Integrated Field Experience: Sec Ed/Math (3)
- MAP 2302 Differential Equations (3)
- MAS 3105 Linear Algebra (3)
- MHF 2191 Mathematics Found (3)
- MHF 4404 History of Math (3)
- RED 4350 Literacy Content & Processes (3)
- TSL 4340 Meth, Curric & Instruct Effect (3)
- TSL 4520 Sec Lang Acquis Comm & Culture (3)
- Restricted Electives* (6 hrs)
Select from the following with approval of the college academic advisor:
- MAA 4226 Analysis I (3)*
- MAD 3107 Discrete Mathematics (3)
- MAD 4401 Numerical Analysis (3)
- MAP 3161 Mathematics for Science and Engineering (4)
- MAP 3162 Probability and Statistics (4)
- MAP 3163 Operations Research I (3)
- MAS 4301 Abstract Algebra I (3)*
- MHF 4404 History of Math (3)
- STA 3163 Applied Statistics (3)
- STA 4234 Intro. to Regression Analysis (3)
*Recommended for candidates who may wish to pursue 18 graduate credits or more in math.
- University Requirements (3 hrs)
- IDS 3920 University Colloquium (3)
TOTAL SEMESTER HOURS REQUIRED: 120 HRS
Additional Graduation Requirements
- A grade of C or higher in all College of Education (COE) courses with an overall GPA of 2.5 in all COE coursework and in all coursework attempted.
- Pass the Florida Teacher Certification Examinations (FTCE), including the subject area examination and the Professional Education examination.
- A minimum of 48 upper division hours (courses numbered 3000 and higher).
- Complete 30 of the last 60 hours at FGCU.
- Satisfaction of foreign language admission requirement.
- Satisfaction of Service Learning requirements: www.fgcu.edu/connect/
- In order to register for courses in Block 2, students must be admitted to the College of Education (see Program Admission Requirements).
- In order to be placed in the Block 4 Integrated Field Experience, students must pass the FTCE Professional Education Test.
- In order to be placed in a Block 5 Final Internship, students must have taken the FTCE Subject Area Exam.
- Students will not graduate until all required tests of the Florida Teacher Certification Exam are passed.
Transfer Notes and Acceptable Substitutes
The COE limits the transfer of coursework into its upper-division, undergraduate programs. To be considered, courses must have been completed with a minimum grade of C and no more than five years prior to the date of entry into the College of Education undergraduate program.
- EDF 2005: may substitute EDF X005 (3)
- EDF 2085: may substitute EDF X085 (3)
- EME 2040: may substitute EME X040 (3)
- MAC 2311: may substitute MAC X311 (4)
- MAC 2312: may substitute MAC X312 (4)
- Math Elective: may substitute MAC XXXX (4) or MTG XXXX (4) or MAS XXXX (4)
For All Majors: Students are strongly encouraged to select required lower division electives that will enhance their general education coursework and that will support their intended baccalaureate degree program. Students should consult with an academic advisor in their major degree area.
The information contained in this catalog excerpt is intended for informational purposes only. Every effort is made to provide this information as accurately as possible at the time of publication; however, the university reserves the right to revise any section or part without notice or obligation. Printed on: 1/29/2015.