The B.A. in Special Education is designed to prepare students to attain certification in Exceptional Student Education, grades K - 12, which covers teaching children with emotional and behavioral disorders, developmental disabilities/intellectual disabilities, specific learning disabilities, and physical and health disabilities. Field experiences are central to the special education program and commence in the first semester with increasing involvement throughout the program.
Program Admission Requirements
- An overall GPA of 2.5 on all hours attempted.
- Pass all subsections of the FTCE General Knowledge Test. No exemptions can be considered.
- Satisfy General Education requirements.
- Satisfy College-Level Skills requirements.
- Satisfy common prerequisite requirements.
- Successfully complete a background check.
- Obtain liability insurance for field experiences in the PreK – 12 schools.
To prevent or minimize excess hours, select general education courses that satisfy common prerequisite requirements for your intended major.
FGCU General Education Program (http://www.fgcu.edu/general_education/)
- Common Prerequisites
A minimum grade of C is required in each course.
FGCU Course: EDF 2005 Intro to Teach Prof (3)
Acceptable Substitute: EDFX005
FGCU Course: EDF 2085 Intro to Diversity for Educ (3)
Acceptable Substitute: EDFX085
FGCU Course: EME 2040 Intro to Tech in Educ. (3)
Acceptable Substitute: EMEX040
In addition to EDF 2085, a minimum of 6 hrs with an international or diversity focus is required. Eligible courses will be determined by the community college or university where the student is currently earning the Associate of Arts or baccalaureate degree. Foreign language courses may be used to meet this requirement.
- Courses in the Major
A minimum grade of C in each course and a GPA of 2.5 is required.
Required Courses in the Major (57 credits)
EDF 3253 Learning Mgmt Inclusive Class (3)
EDF 4112 Child Growth and Development (3)
EDG 3323 Professional Teaching Practice (3)
EDG 4937 Sr Seminar-Initial Teach Prep (3)
EEX 4050 Theories & Prac in Spec Educ (3)
EEX 4221 Educ Assess ofExceptional Stud (3)
EEX 4254 Tching Students w/Mild-Mod Dis (3)
EEX 4474 Tching Students Mod/Sev Disabil (3)
EEX 4604 BehavMgmt SpecNeed/AtRisk Stud (3)
EEX 4940 Internship: Special Ed (9)
EEX 4942 Integr Field Exper in Spec Ed (3)
MAE 4310 Math Content & Processes (3)
RED 4310 Early Literacy Learning (3)
RED 4350 Literacy Content & Processes (3)
TSL 3080 Foundations of ESOL (3)
TSL 4340 Methods, Cur, and Instr Effect (3)
TSL 4520 Sec Lang Acquis Comm& Culture (3)
- University Requirements (3 credits)
IDS 3920 University Colloquium (3)
- Additional Electives - as needed to reach total credits required for the degree
TOTAL SEMESTER HOURS REQUIRED: 120 HRS
Additional Graduation Requirements
- Pass the Florida Teacher Certification Examinations (FTCE), including the subject area examination and the Professional Education examination.
- A minimum of 48 upper division credits (courses numbered 3000 and higher).
- Complete 30 of the last 60 credits at FGCU.
- Satisfy College-Level skills and foreign language admission requirement.
- Satisfy Service Learning requirement. www.fgcu.edu/connect/
- Candidates must complete all coursework prior to beginning their Level II Internship.
- Candidates must have passed the FTCE Subject Area Exam and have attempted the FTCE Professional Education Exam prior to beginning their Level II Internship.
The information contained in this catalog excerpt is intended for informational purposes only. Every effort is made to provide this information as accurately as possible at the time of publication; however, the university reserves the right to revise any section or part without notice or obligation. Printed on: 10/6/2015.