M.Ed. in Educational Leadership program consists of 39 hours of coursework that is designed to prepare students for leadership positions in educational settings as well as to improve performance of current leaders in educational leadership positions. Program content focuses on the functions of educational leaders and stresses the relationship between tested practice and applied theory. The M.Ed. program prepares students for Educational Leadership certification by the Florida Department of Education. Final program completion is assessed through portfolio assessment for all students.
Program Admission Requirements
This program prepares students for Educational Leadership Level I certification by the Florida Department of Education.
- A four year undergraduate degree from a regionally accredited institution.
- Any one of the following:
- a grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale for the last 60 semester hours attempted accruing to the undergraduate degree; or
- a combined score of 1000 or higher on the quantitative and verbal sections of the GRE exam; or
- a 400 or higher on the MAT; or
- a graduate degree from a regionally accredited institution. Note: All applicants must submit GPA and graduate admission (GRE or MAT) test scores regardless of which of the above criteria are met for admissions.
- Submission of three favorable recommendations from professionals in the field.
- Professional teaching certificate or eligibility for a Florida professional teaching certificate.
- Performance in courses taken post baccalaureate will be taken into consideration for admission to the College of Education Graduate Programs.
Required Courses in the Major (39 hrs)
- EDA 6061 Principles of Educational Leadership (3)
- EDA 6192 Organizational Development (3)
- EDA 6232 School Law (3)
- EDA 6242 School Finance (3)
- EDA 6945 Internship in Educational Leadership (6)
- EDF 6432 Foundations of Measurement (3)
- EDG 6627 Foundations of Curriculum & Instruction (3)
- EDG 6326 Learning, Accountability and Assessment (6)
- EDG 6391 Instructional Leadership (3)
- EDS 6050 Human Resources Development (3)
- EME 6425 Technology for School Leaders (3)
TOTAL SEMESTER HOURS REQUIRED: 39 HRS
Additional Graduation Requirements
- Students must satisfactorily complete the minimum number of credit hours specified by the graduate degree program.
- Overall GPA of 3.0 or higher in all work attempted.
- A cumulative GPA of 3.0 for all coursework in program.
- Students must pass all portions of the Florida Educational Leadership Examination.
- Final program completion is assessed through portfolio assessment.
Transfer Notes and Acceptable Substitutes
The College of Education limits the transfer of coursework into its graduate programs to a maximum of 12 credits or three courses. To be considered, courses must have been completed with a minimum grade of B and no more than seven years prior to the date of entry into the graduate program and no more than ten years prior to graduation from the graduate program.