Program Admission Requirements
- Submit an FGCU Undergraduate Admission Application and satisfy all applicable university admission requirements.
- Complete common prerequisites with a grade of C or better.
- Attend an orientation session.
- Sign an Advising Agreement document.
FGCU General Education Program (GEP) (36 hrs)
Refer to the General Education Program for more information.
- Communication (6 hrs)
- ENC 1101 (3)
- ENC 1102 (3)
- Mathematics (6 hrs)
- STA 2023 (3)
- Humanities (9 hrs)
- HUM 2510 (3)
- THE 2020 (3) recommended
- THE 2300 (3) recommended
- Social Sciences (6-9 hrs)
- Natural Sciences (6-9 hrs)
Note: At least one Natural Sciences course must include a laboratory or field component. Courses meeting this requirement contain a “C” or “L” in their course numbers. Each combined lecture and laboratory course (marked with a C) is equivalent to taking the lecture and laboratory separately.
- Common Prerequisites (variable)
- THE 2020 Introduction to Theatre (3) (GEP)
- THE 2300 Survey of Dramatic Lit (3) (GEP)
- THE 2430 Performing Arts in a Culturally Diverse Society (3)
- THE 2925 Play Production (1)
- TPA 2210 Stagecraft (3)
- TPA 2214 Stage Lighting and Sound (3)
- TPA 2290 Tech Theatre Lab I (1)
- TPP 2100 Acting I (3)
- TPP 2190 Rehearsal & Performance (1)
- Required Courses in the Major (21 hrs)
- IDS 3300 Foundations of Civic Engagement (3)
- THE 3511 Theories of Theatre and Performance I (3)
- THE 3512 Theories of Theatre and Performance II (3)
- THE 3540 Applied Theatre (3)
- THE 4959 Senior Capstone: Theatre as a Profession (3)
- TPP 3310 Play Directing I (3)
- TPP 3943 Applied Theatre Lab (3)
- Electives in the Major (20 hrs)
- Select 6 hours from the following:
- Any course numbered 3000-4999 with prefixes other than DAA, THE, TPA, or TPP.
- Select 14 hours from the following list. At least 12 hours from the upper level (3000-4999):
- DAA 2105 Contemporary Dance I (2)*
- DAA 2205 Ballet I (2)*
- DAA 3108 Contemporary Dance II (3)**
- DAA 3208 Ballet II (3)**
- DAA 4930 Special Topics in Dance (1-3)**
- THE 3073 Film Study for Theatre Students (3)
- THE 3560 Ecologies of Performance (3)
- THE 4181 Transgression and Resistance (3)
- THE 4905 Directed Study in Theatre (1-4)
- THE 4930 Special Topics in Theatre (1-3)
- THE 4945 Summer Repertory Theatre (3-9)
- TPA 2248 Workshop in Stage Make-up (1)
- TPA 4601 Stage Management (3)
- TPA 4930 Special Topics in Theatre (1-3)
- TPA 4940 Internship in Technical Theatre (1-6)
- TPP 2220 Audition Technique (3)
- TPP 3113 Acting II (3)
- TPP 3164 The Actor's Instrument (3)
- TPP 3242 Performance Art (3)
- TPP 3264 Acting for the Camera (3)
- TPP 3293 Devising Performance (3)**
- TPP 3294 Staging Devised Performance (3)**
- TPP 3600 Playwriting (3)
- TPP 3790 The Voiceover Artist (3)
- TPP 4143 Acting Styles (3)*
- TPP 4174 Transmedia Autoperformance (3)
- TPP 4311 Play Directing II (3)
- TPP 4601 Creating New Theatre (3)*
- TPP 4930 Special Topics in Theatre Performance (1-3)*
- TPP 4940 Internship in Theatre Performance (1-6)
*May be repeated for credit up to three times
**May be repeated for credit one time.
- University Requirements (3 hrs)
- IDS 3920 University Colloquium (3)
- Additional Electives (variable)
TOTAL SEMESTER HOURS REQUIRED: 120 HRS
Additional Graduation Requirements
- A minimum of 120 credit hours.
- A minimum of 48 of the 120 hours must be at the upper division (3000 - 4999) level.
- A cumulative GPA of 2.0 for all coursework attempted at FGCU.
- A minimum grade of C for each course used to satisfy the following categories: common prerequisites, required courses in the major, and electives in the major.
- Satisfaction of the Communication and Computation Skills and foreign language entrance requirements.
- Satisfaction of the Service Learning requirement (See www.fgcu.edu/connect).
- Satisfaction of the residency requirement: thirty of the last sixty credits must be completed at FGCU.
- Completion of the summer course enrollment requirement.
- Submit an online Application for Graduation via Gulfline by the deadline listed in the FGCU Academic Calendar.
Transfer Notes and Acceptable Substitutes
The following substitutions are acceptable for common prerequisites and must be completed with a grade of C or better
- THE 2020: may substitute THE X000* (3)
- THE 2300: may substitute THE X305 (3) or THE X300 (3)
- THE 2430: may substitute THE XXXX (3) or TPA XXXX (3) or TPP XXXX (3)
- THE 2925: may substitute THE X925 (1)
- TPA 2210: may substitute TPA X210 (3) or TPA X200 (3)
- TPA 2214: may substitute THE XXX (3) or TPP XXX (3) or TPA XXX (3)
- TPA 2290: may substitute TPA X290 (1)
- TPP 2100: may substitute THE XXXX (3) or TPA XXXX (3) or TPP XXXX (3)
- TPP 2190: may substitute TPP X109 (3) or TPP X110 (3)
*or any introductory course from THE X001-X035
For All Majors: Students are strongly recommended to select required lower division electives that will enhance their General Education coursework and that will support their intended baccalaureate degree program. Students should consult with an academic advisor in their major degree area.
The information contained in this catalog excerpt is intended for informational purposes only. Every effort is made to provide this information as accurately as possible at the time of publication; however, the university reserves the right to revise any section or part without notice or obligation. Printed on: 3/30/2015.