The Bachelor of Science (B.S.A.T.) in Athletic Training Program provides students with the knowledge, skills, and abilities needed to evaluate, advise, and treat patients of any type and of all ages. Students learn how to help these individuals avoid injury, recover, and return to participation. During the program, students also complete a series of clinical experiences. These experiences may be associated with FGCU intercollegiate athletic programs, professional athletic programs, local sports medicine clinics, and local high school athletic programs. Graduates of the FGCU B.S.A.T. Athletic Training Program are eligible to take the Board of Certification (BOC) examination to become a BOC certified athletic trainer.
The Athletic Training Education Program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Athletic Training Education (2201 Double Creek Drive, Suite 5006, Round Rock, Texas 78664; telephone number 512-733-9700). (http://www.caate.net)
Board of Certification
Qualifications necessary for earning certification can be found at the Board of Certification Inc. website: (http://www.bocatc.org/).
In addition to typical FGCU student cost, the Athletic training students can anticipate additional costs related to the following:
- Liability Insurance
- Membership Dues for professional organizations
- Laboratory and Clinical Uniforms
- Level II Background Checks
- CPR/AED, First Aid
For additional information, please visit www.fgcu.edu/chpsw/rs/atbs/tuition.asp
Program Admission Requirements
The Athletic Training Program conducts a competitive admissions process for this major. All applicants who meet the minimum admission requirements listed below may not be admitted into the program. Application forms are available on the Athletic Training Program website. All application materials must be received by February 1st of the year in which entry is sought. Application materials received after February 1st will be considered on a space-available basis. Admission decisions are made based on materials and coursework completed at the time of the application.
Admission Requirements Effective Fall 2016
- Submit FGCU Undergraduate Admission Application and satisfy all applicable university admission requirements.
- Submit supplemental application materials.
- Athletic Training Application form
- Official transcripts from all institutions attended (except FGCU) submitted with application (only original, unopened transcripts will be considered official and is in addition to transcripts submitted for admission to FGCU)
- Submit the following Athletic Training Application Materials:
- Medical History Form (Signed by Health Care Provider)
- Physical Exam Form (Signed by Health Care Provider)
- Technical Standards Signature Form (Signed by Health Care Provider)
- Immunization Requirements Form (Signed by Health Care Provider)
- Include medical records for immunization, vaccines, and screening tests
- Present and Future Coursework Planning Sheet
- Prerequisite GPA Calculation Sheet
- Validation of AT Shadowing Experience (Signed by ATC, LAT Supervisor) includes two letters of recommendation to be submitted with the application.
- Course Equivalent Substitution Form (if applicable)
- Hepatitis B Waiver Form (if applicable)
- At time of admission into the major, all prerequisite courses must be completed with a grade of C or better (a grade of C- or less is not acceptable).
- At time of application to the major, 17 hours of prerequisite course work must be completed. The common prerequisite courses are:
- BSC 1010C General Biology w/Lab (4)
- BSC 1085C Human Anatomy and Physiology I w/Lab (4)
- BSC 1086C Human Anatomy and Physiology II w/Lab (4)
- HSC 2577 Human Nutrition (3)
- PHY 2053C College Physics I w/Lab (4)
- PSY 2012 General Psychology (3)
- STA 2023 Statistics (3)
- Grade point average calculated for all prerequisite courses of at least 3.00 (on a 4.0 scale).
- A minimum grade point average of 3.00 (on a 4.0 scale) for the most recent 30 college credit hours.
- Complete a criminal background check.
- Interview (arranged by invitation when all other application materials have been received and reviewed)
To prevent or minimize excess hours, select general education courses that satisfy common prerequisite requirements for your intended major.
- FGCU General Education Program (http://www.fgcu.edu/general_education/)
- Common Prerequisites
A minimum grade of C is required in each course.
FGCU Course: BSC 1010C Gen'l Biology w/Lab I (4)
Acceptable Substitute: BSC X010C or (BSC X010 and BSC X010L)
FGCU Course: BSC 1085C Hum Anat & Physio w/Lab I (4) and BSC 1086C Hum Anat & Physio w/Lab II (4)
Acceptable Substitute: [(BSCX093 and BSCX093L) and (BSCX094 and BSCX094L)] or (PETX322C and PETX323C) or (ZOOX733C and PCBX703C) or (APKX100C and APKX105C) or [(BSCX085 and BSCX085L) and (BSCX086 and BSCX086L)] or (BSCX085C and BSCX086C)
FGCU Course: HSC 2577 Nutri Human Health & Wellness (3)
Acceptable Substitute: HUNX201 or HUNX941 or HUNX002 or HSCX577
FGCU Course: PHY 2053C College Physics w/Lab I (4)
Acceptable Substitute: (PHYX053 and PHYX053L) or PHYX053C or (PHYX048 and PHYX048L) or PHYX048C
FGCU Course: PSY 2012 General Psychology (3)
Acceptable Substitute: PSYX012
FGCU Course: STA 2023 Statistical Methods (3)
Acceptable Substitute: STAX023 or STAX122 or STAX201
- Required Courses in the Major (57 credits)
APK 4110L Applied Exercise Physiology (3)
APK 4112 Sport & Human Exer Psychology (3)
APK 4123 Human Perf and Energy Supplies (2)
APK 4930 PDS II Prep for Entering (2)
ATR 3014C Intro to Athletic Training (3)
ATR 3432C General Med Conditions in AT (2)
ATR 3512 Athletic Health Care Admin (3)
ATR 3812 Clinical Practice I (1)
ATR 3813C AT Practice I (3)
ATR 3822 Clinical Practice II (1)
ATR 3823C Athletic Training Practice II (3)
ATR 4832 Clinical Practice III (1)
ATR 4833C Athletic Training Practice III (4)
ATR 4842C Athletic Training Practice IV (4)
ATR 4843 Clinical Practice IV (3)
ATR 4852 Clinical Practice V (3)
IHS 4504 Research Methods in Health Care (3)
PHT 3176 Movement Science I (6)
PHT 3176L Movement Science I Lab (2)
PHT 3177 Movement Science II (4)
PHT 3177L Movement Science II Lab (1)
- University Requirements (3 credits)
IDS 3920 University Colloquium (3)
- Additional Electives - as needed to reach total credits required for the degree
TOTAL SEMESTER HOURS REQUIRED: 120 HRS
Additional Graduation Requirements
- Students must satisfactorily complete a minimum of 120 credits.
- At least 48 of the 120 credits must be in the upper division (3000 and higher).
- At least 30 of the last 60 credits must be earned at FGCU.
- A cumulative GPA of 2.0 is required for all coursework attempted at FGCU.
- Satisfy College-Level Skills and foreign language entrance requirements.
- Satisfy Service Learning requirement. See www.fgcu.edu/connect/
- Perform at Entry Level in all criteria of the Professional Behaviors Plan.
- Complete all Required Courses in the Major with a minimum GPA of 3.0.
- Apply for graduation per university guidelines and timeline.
- Meet all Athletic Training Education Program and FGCU graduation requirements.
- Adhere to requirements as stated in the Athletic Training Student Guidebook.
- Students must follow a Program of Study approved by the student’s faculty advisor.
- Students must receive a grade of “C” (“S” if applicable) or better on all courses within the program curriculum.
- A student must perform at the appropriate level of generic abilities and criteria as outlined in the Professional Behaviors Plan.
The information contained in this catalog excerpt is intended for informational purposes only. Every effort is made to provide this information as accurately as possible at the time of publication; however, the university reserves the right to revise any section or part without notice or obligation. Printed on: 10/1/2016.