The Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) program is designed to prepare graduates to excel in a diverse, rapidly changing, and technologically oriented society. Graduates are prepared to assume vital roles in the improvement of client health care outcomes. General education and state-mandated common prerequisites for nursing form the foundation of study for the major. The nursing curriculum is built upon the principles of critical thinking, communication, health promotion, cultural connectedness, and adherence to professional and ethical standards.
The baccalaureate nursing program at Florida Gulf Coast University is approved by the Florida Board of Nursing, 4052 Bald Cypress Way, Bin C-02, Tallahassee, FL 32399-3257, (850)-488-0595. The baccalaureate degree in nursing program at Florida Gulf Coast University is accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education, One Dupont Circle, NW, Suite 530, Washington, DC 20036, (202) 887-6791.
Limited Access means that all students who meet minimum admission requirements may not be admitted due to space and other constraints. A competitive admissions process is conducted for this major. Students must be admitted to the University, and then submit a separate school of Nursing BSN supplemental application.
- Students are admitted to the BSN program fall and spring terms. Application materials must be received by February 1 for fall admission and May 15 for spring admission.
- Students who are currently enrolled in an accredited baccalaureate nursing program and have completed nursing courses may be admitted each fall or spring semester on a limited basis according to the number of open seats.
- All students must meet all BSN Program Admission Requirements as follows.
Program Admission Requirements
- Submit a FGCU Application for Admission and satisfy all applicable university admission requirements.
- Submit a completed School of Nursing supplemental application form.
- Have and maintain, prior to full admission, a minimum overall GPA of at least 3.0 on all coursework attempted. Please Note: If the FGCU Degree Works audit shows a transfer GPA, it may not include grades for all courses at all institutions during your academic career. The School of Nursing calculates the transfer GPA for BSN admission purposes using all grades.
- Complete common prerequisites for nursing, with a grade of C or higher. Students who have not completed all required coursework at the time of application must include a plan for completion of the course(s) as part of the supplemental application. A final transcript documenting successful completion of the course(s) must be submitted to Undergraduate Admissions.
- Complete Anatomy & Physiology I with Lab and Anatomy & Physiology II with Lab prior to the application deadline.
- Completion of the Test of Essential Academic Skills Test (TEAS) prior to BSN supplemental application deadline, with scores calculated for BSN program applicants.
- Applicants who have attended, but not completed, another BSN registered nursing program must provide a letter of good standing from the Dean of the School of Nursing (or designee) that addresses the following: potential for success in a BSN program, safety in providing nursing care, interpersonal communication skills, and other information the director deems important. BSN applicants from an accredited baccalaureate BSN program must also submit course syllabi and topical outlines for all nursing courses to be evaluated for nursing equivalency.
To prevent or minimize excess hours, select general education courses that satisfy common prerequisite requirements for your intended major.
- FGCU General Education Program (http://www.fgcu.edu/general_education/)
- Common Prerequisites
A minimum grade of C is required in each course
FGCU Course: BSC 1085C Hum Anat & Physio w/Lab I (4)
Acceptable Substitute: BSCX085C or (BSCX085 and BSCX085L) or BSCX093C or (BSCX093 and BSCX093L)
FGCU Course: BSC 1086C Hum Anat & Physio w/Lab II (4)
Acceptable Substitute: BSCX086C or (BSCX086 and BSCX086L) or BSCX094C or (BSCX094 and BSCX094L)
FGCU Course: 3 credits in any chemistry, biochemistry, biology, genetics, or physics course
Acceptable Substitutes: CHMXXXX or BCHXXXX or BSCXXXX or PCBXXXX or PHYXXXX
(Note: At FGCU, CHM 1045 and CHM 1045L, Chemistry with lab (4 credits) is strongly recommended)
FGCU Course: DEP 2004 Principles of Development (3)
Acceptable Substitutes: DEPX004 or DEPX054 or DEPX000 or DEPX414
FGCU Course: HSC 2577 Nutri Human Health & Wellness (3)
Acceptable Substitutes: HUNX201 or NURX192
FGCU Course: MCB 2010C Microbiology with Lab (4)
Acceptable Substitutes: MCBX010C or (MCBX010 and MCBX010L) or MCBX013C or (MCBX013 and MCBX013L) or (MCBX000 and MCBX000L) or (MCBX004 and MCBX004L)
FGCU Course: 3 credits in any psychology, social psychology, or sociology course
Acceptable Substitutes: PSYXXXX or SOPXXXX or SYGXXXX
FGCU Course: STA 2023 Statistical Methods (3)
Acceptable Substitutes: STAX014 or STAX023 or STAX122 or STAX022
- Requirements in the Nursing Major (61 credits)
A minimum grade of C or S is required in each course.
NUR 3065C Health Assessment (3)
NUR 3125 Pathophysiology in Nursing (3)
NUR 3145 Pharmacology for Nursing (3)
NUR 3226 Adult Health Nursing I (3)
NUR 3226L Adult Health Nursing I Clinic (4)
NUR 3286 Gerontological Nursing (2)
NUR 3286L Gerontological Nursing Clinic (1)
NUR 3355 Child Health Nursing (2)
NUR 3355L Child Health Nursing Clinic (1)
NUR 3535 Mental Health Nursing (2)
NUR 3535L Mental Health Nursing Clinical (1)
NUR 3825 Intro to Professional Nursing (2)
NUR 3829C Foundations of Nsg Practice (4)
NUR 3833 Patient Care Manage in Nursing (3)
NUR 4169 Evidence-Based Nursing Prac (3)
NUR 4227 Adult Health Nursing II (3)
NUR 4227L Adult Health Nursing II Clinic (4)
NUR 4455 Reproductive Health Nursing (2)
NUR 4455L Reproductive Health Nurs Clinic (1)
NUR 4636 Community & Pub Health Nursing (3)
NUR 4636L Commun & Pub Hlth Nurs Clinic (2)
NUR 4295C Critical Care Nursing (3)
NUR 4948L Senior Nursing Practicum (3)
NUR 4165 Principles of Nursing Research (3)
- University Requirements (3 credits)
A minimum grade of C is required in each course
IDS 3920 University Colloquium (3)
- Additional Electives - as needed to reach total credits required for the degree
TOTAL SEMESTER HOURS REQUIRED: 124 HRS
Additional Graduation Requirements
- Students must satisfactorily complete a minimum of 124 credits, including 64 credits of upper division coursework.
- A cumulative GPA of 2.0 is required for all coursework attempted at FGCU.
- At least 31 of the last 64 credits must be completed at FGCU.
- Satisfy College-Level Skills and foreign language entrance requirements.
- Satisfy Service Learning requirement. See http://www.fgcu.edu/connect/
- Satisfy School of Nursing NCLEX-RN Success Plan requirements.
Refer to the BSN Program Guidebook for further information on progression standards.
The information contained in this catalog excerpt is intended for informational purposes only. Every effort is made to provide this information as accurately as possible at the time of publication; however, the university reserves the right to revise any section or part without notice or obligation. Printed on: 9/1/2016.