The Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Exercise Science program is located in the College of Health Professions and Social Work. Students in FGCU's Exercise Science program focus on analyzing movement and maximizing performance levels of high-level athletes, fitness-oriented persons, and special populations such as children and older adults.
Exercise Science graduates are eligible to sit for national certification exams through the National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA) and the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM). Potential careers may be available working with a variety of athletic populations, fitness oriented persons, and special populations upon graduation. Graduates of the Exercise Science program will be qualified for graduate programs in the applied sciences and in the health professions such as athletic training, physical therapy, occupational therapy, medicine, sports nutrition, and sports psychology.
For successfully meeting established criteria, the National Strength and Conditioning Association officially recognizes Florida Gulf Coast University's Educational Program in Strength and Conditioning.
Program Admission Requirements
- Submit a FGCU Undergraduate Admission Application and satisfy applicable university admission requirements or be a current FGCU student.
- Supplemental applications for the Exercise Science program must be received by February 1st for priority consideration. The application deadline is May 15th. Applications received after May 15th will be reviewed at a later date. Class availability may be limited.
- Exercise Science application checklist.
- Official transcripts from all institutions attended (except FGCU) submitted with application (only original, unopened transcripts will be considered official and is in addition to transcripts submitted for admission to FGCU).
- Complete an Exercise Science program portfolio, which includes the following:
- Responses to Section 2 and Section 3 on the Exercise Science portfolio development guidelines
- Submit the following Exercise Science application materials:
- Exercise Science Technical Standards Signature form (signed by physician)
- Physical Exam Form (signed by physician)
- Present and Future Coursework Planning Sheet
- Immunization Requirements form (signed by health care provider)
- Include medical records for immunizations, vaccines and screening tests
- Prerequisite GPA Calculation Sheet
- Course Equivalent Substitution Form (if applicable)
- Complete a level II background check by August 1st.
- At time of application to the program, the following courses must be completed: BSC 1010C or BSC 1010 and BSC 1010L or approved substitute; BSC 1085C or approved substitute; CHM 1045C or CHM 1045 and CHM 1045L or approved substitute; two additional courses from the list of common prerequisites or approved substitutes below.
- All prerequisite courses must be completed by the end of the summer term in which application is received.
- A minimum of a least a B- or better in each of the following prerequisite courses: General Biology w/ Lab I (BSC 1010C), Human Anatomy & Physiology w/ Lab I (BSC 1085C), and Human Anatomy & Physiology w/ Lab II (BSC 1086C). All other prerequisite courses must be completed with a C or better (a grade of C- or less is not acceptable).
To prevent or minimize excess hours, select general education courses that satisfy common prerequisite requirements for your intended major.
- FGCU General Education Program (http://www.fgcu.edu/general_education/)
- Common Prerequisites
A minimum grade of C is required in each course, except BSC1010C, BSC1085C and BSC1086C that require a minimum grade of B-.
FGCU Course: BSC 1010C Gen’l Biology w/Lab I (4)
Acceptable Substitute: (BSCX010 and BSCX010L)
FGCU Course: BSC 1011 General Biology II (3) and BSC 1011L General Biology II Laboratory (1)
Acceptable Substitute: (BSCX011 and BSCX011L)
FGCU Course: BSC 1085C Hum Anat & Physio w/Lab I (4)
Acceptable Substitute: (BSCX085 and BSCX085L) or (PETX322 and PETX322L) or (APKX100C and APKX100L) or (BSCX093 and BSCX093L)
FGCU Course: BSC 1086C Hum Anat & Physio w/Lab II (4)
Acceptable Substitute: (BSCX086 and BSCX086L) or (PETX323 and PETX323L) or (APKX105 and APKX105L) or (BSCX094 and BSCX094L)
FGCU Course: CHM 1045 General Chemistry I (3) and CHM 1045L General Chemistry I Lab (1)
Acceptable Substitute: (CHMX045 and CHMX045L)
FGCU Course: CHM 1046 General Chemistry II (3) and CHM 1046L General Chemistry II Lab (1)
Acceptable Substitute: (CHMX046 and CHMX046L)
FGCU Course: HSC 2577 Nutri Human Health & Wellness (3)
Acceptable Substitute: HUNX201
FGCU Course: MAC 1147 Precalculus (4)
Acceptable Substitute: MACX147 or MACX311 or (MACX140 and MACX114)
FGCU Course: PSY 2012 General Psychology (3)
Acceptable Substitute: PSYX012
- Required Courses in the Major (57 credits)
APK 3125 Fitness Assess/Ex Prescription (3)
APK 3125L Fitness Assessment Lab (2)
APK 3312 Pharm & Ergo Aids Sport & HP (2)
APK 4112 Sport and Human Exer Psychology (3)
APK 4120 Clinical Exercise Physiology (3)
APK 4123 Human Perf and Energy Supplies (2)
APK 4137 Exercise and Sprt Physiology (3)
APK 4137L Exercise and Sport Phys Lab (2)
APK 4138 Methods of RT & Conditioning (3)
APK 4138L Resistance Training Lab (2)
APK 4930 PDS II Prep for Entering (2)
APK 4941L Experiential Learning I (4)
APK 4948L Experiential Learning II (4)
ATR 3512 Athletic Health Care Admin (3)
IHS 4504 Research Methods in HealthCare (3)
PET 3627C Care & Prevent HP Injuries (3)
PHT 3176 Movement Science I (6)
PHT 3176L Movement Science I Laboratory (2)
PHT 3177 Movement Science II (4)
PHT 3177L Movement Science II Laboratory (1)
- University Requirements (3 credits)
IDS 3920 University Colloquium (3)
- Additional Electives - as needed to reach total credits required for the degree
TOTAL SEMESTER HOURS REQUIRED: 120 HRS
Additional Graduation Requirements
- Students must satisfactorily complete a minimum of 120 credits.
- At least 48 of the 120 credits must be in the upper division (3000 and higher).
- At least 30 of the last 60 credits must be earned at FGCU.
- A cumulative GPA of 2.0 is required for all coursework attempted at FGCU.
- Complete all Required Courses in the Major with a minimum GPA of 3.0.
- A minimum grade of C is required for all Exercise Science major courses.
- Satisfy College-Level Skills and foreign language entrance requirements.
- Satisfy Service Learning requirement. See http://www.fgcu.edu/connect/
- Perform at Entry Level in all criteria of the Professional Behaviors Plan.
- Apply for graduation per university guidelines and timeline.
- Meet all FGCU requirements for graduation.
- Adhere to requirements as stated in the Exercise Science Student Guidebook.
- Students must follow a pre-approved Program of Study approved by the student's faculty advisor.
- A student must perform at the appropriate level of generic abilities and criteria as outlined in the Professional Behaviors Plan.
For Experiential Learning I & II, the Exercise Science program will attempt to place students at an approved community site. In some situations students will need to secure their own pre-approved placement which must meet the Exercise Science programs requirements for community site education. Please see the Exercise Science program website for additional criteria on Experiential Learning.
The information contained in this catalog excerpt is intended for informational purposes only. Every effort is made to provide this information as accurately as possible at the time of publication; however, the university reserves the right to revise any section or part without notice or obligation. Printed on: 6/27/2016.