The BSW Program prepares students for strengths-based generalist professional practice that teaches students to assist individuals, families, groups, organizations and communities to identify their strengths and solve problems. Graduates will be equipped to work in a variety of public, nonprofit, and proprietary human service agencies. This upper division undergraduate program is designed to mesh both with community college associate degrees and the General Education Program at FGCU. In the junior and senior years, students will develop a core set of skills in case management, information and referral, and community organization which can be used in a variety of practice settings. Graduates are prepared for advanced study if they want to pursue a graduate degree. Those choosing to enter a MSW program must do so within 5 years of completing the B.S.W. program. Those choosing to enter the M.S.W. program at FGCU must do so within 5 years of completing the B.S.W. program.
The Department of Social Work is accredited by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE), 1701 Duke Street, Suite 200, Alexandria, Virginia 22314: Telephone number 703-683-8080; Email email@example.com
Program Admission Requirements
Admission Requirements Effective Fall 2016
- Be admitted to FGCU as an undergraduate student.
- Attain junior status by date of application (June 1) for permission to register for upper division coursework.
- Must have a minimum overall GPA of 2.0
- Submit a B.S.W. supplemental application by June 1 of your second year. This application is available on the BSW website and is to include:
- Application form
- Self-Disclosure Statement
- Legal disclosure statement
- Three (3) Letters of Reference (submit a reference form for each reference)
- Personal Statement
- NASW Code of Ethics essay
- Transcripts from each college or university attended including FGCU
- Complete all general education program requirements.
- Complete three of the five common prerequisite courses with a grade of B- or better.
- Student must be in good academic standing.
To prevent or minimize excess hours, select general education courses that satisfy common prerequisite requirements for your intended major.
FGCU General Education Program (http://www.fgcu.edu/general_education/)
- Common Prerequisites
A minimum grade of C is required in each course, except three of the five common prerequisite courses require a minimum grade of B-.
FGCU Course: POS 2041 American Nat’l Government (3)
Acceptable Substitute: POSX041 or POSX042 or PUPX099
FGCU Course: BSC 1005 Biological Science (3)
Acceptable Substitute: BSCX005 or BSCX085 or BSCX010 or PCBX099
FGCU Course: ECO 1000 Survey of Economics (3) or ECO 2013 Princ of Macro Economics (3) or ECO 2023 Princ of Micro Economics
Acceptable Substitute: ECOX000 or ECOX023 or ECOX013
FGCU Course: PSY 2012 General Psychology (3)
Acceptable Substitute: PSYX012 or PSYX020
FGCU Course: SYG 2000 Intro to Sociology (3) or SYG 2010 Social Problems (3)
Acceptable Substitute: SYGX000 or SYGX010
- Required Core Courses (45 credits)
A minimum grade of C is required in each course
SOW 2031 Introduction to Social Work (3)
SOW 3101 HBSE I (3)
SOW 3102 HBSE II (3)
SOW 3232 Social Policy (3)
SOW 3300 Practice I (3)
SOW 3322 Practice II: Groups (3)
SOW 4060 BSW Field Education I (6)
SOW 4061 BSW Field Education II (6)
SOW 4332 Practice III (3)
SOW 4401 Social Work Research (3)
SOW 4521 BSW Field Seminar (3)
SOW 4522 BSW Integrative Senior Seminar (3)
STA 2023 Statistical Methods (3)
- Electives in the Major (6 credits)
A minimum grade of C is required in each course
SOW 4194 Inter-relational Violence (3)
SOW 4274 International Social Work (3)
SOW 4601 Issues in Health/Mental Health (3)
SOW 4643 Issues in Aging (3)
SOW 4650 Child Abuse (3)
SOW 4676 Loss and Bereavement (3)
SOW 4677 Vulnerable Populations (3)
SOW 4702 Chemical Dependency (3)
SOW 4724 Child Welfare (3)
SOW 4901 Independent Study (3)
- University Requirements (3 credits)
IDS 3920 University Colloquium (3)
- Additional Electives - as needed to reach total credits required for the degree
TOTAL SEMESTER HOURS REQUIRED: 120 HRS
Additional Graduation Requirements
- Students must satisfactorily complete a minimum of 120 credits.
- A cumulative GPA of 2.5 is required for all core social work coursework.
- A cumulative GPA of 2.0 is required for all coursework attempted at FGCU.
- At least 48 of the 120 credits must be in the upper division (3000 and higher).
- At least 30 of the last 60 credits must be earned at FGCU.
- Satisfy College-Level Skills and foreign language entrance requirements.
- Satisfy Service Learning requirement. See www.fgcu.edu/connect/
Refer to the BSW Student Handbook for further information on progression standards.
The information contained in this catalog excerpt is intended for informational purposes only. Every effort is made to provide this information as accurately as possible at the time of publication; however, the university reserves the right to revise any section or part without notice or obligation. Printed on: 3/29/2017.