Program Admission Requirements
- Submit an FGCU Undergraduate Admission Application and satisfy all applicable university admission requirements.
- Complete common prerequisites with a grade of C or better.
- Attend an orientation session.
- Sign an Advising Agreement document.
- FGCU General Education Program (GEP) (36 hrs)
Refer to the General Education Program for more information.
Note: At least one Natural Sciences course must include a laboratory or field component. Courses meeting this requirement contain a “C” or “L” in their course numbers. Each combined lecture and laboratory course (marked with a C) is equivalent to taking the lecture and laboratory separately.
- Communication (6 hrs)
- ENC 1101 (3)
- ENC 1102 (3)
- Mathematics (6 hrs)
- STA 2023 (3)
- Humanities (9 hrs)
- HUM 2510 (3)
- MMC 2604 (3) recommended
- Any AML, ENL, or LIT (3) recommended
- Social Sciences (6-9 hrs)
- POS 2041 (3) and/or POS 2112 (3) recommended
- AMH 2020 (3) recommended
- Natural Sciences (6-9 hrs)
- Common Prerequisites (variable)
Must be completed with a grade of C or better.
Students are strongly encouraged to take courses with the following prefixes as part of their lower division requirements or electives: AMH, AML, CRW, ECO, ENL, LIT, POS, SYG, or Public Speaking (SPC 2023).
- ENC 1101 Composition I (3) (GEP)
- ENC 1102 Composition II (3) (GEP)
- MMC 2604 News Literacy (3) (GEP)
It is strongly recommended that students pursuing a major in Journalism take at least two semesters of foreign language.
- Required Courses in the Major (36)
- IDS 3143 Issues in Science and Technology (3)
- IDS 3300 Foundations of Civic Engagement (3)
- IDS 3332 Issues in Culture and Society (3)
- JOU 4110 Journalistic Fact Finding (3)
- JOU 4342 Multimedia Storytelling (4)
- JOU 4347 Senior Capstone: Journalism (4)
- MMC 3020 Grammar (1)
- MMC 3104 Writing for a Mass Audience (3)
- MMC 3125 News Reporting & Writing (3)
- MMC 4211 Media Law and Ethics (3)
- RTV 3301 Audio and Video Journalism (3)
- VIC 3002 Visual Storytelling (3)
- Electives in the Major (9 hrs)
Select 9 hours from the following:
- JOU 4930 Special Topics in Journalism (3) [May be repeated as needed with change of topic]
- JOU 4940 Internship (3) [May be repeated once, with a maximum of six credits earned]
- University Requirements (3 hrs)
- IDS 3920 University Colloquium (3)
- Additional Electives (variable)
TOTAL SEMESTER HOURS REQUIRED: 120 HRS
Additional Graduation Requirements
- A minimum of 120 credit hours.
- A minimum of 48 of the 120 hours must be at the upper division (3000 - 4999) level.
- A cumulative GPA of 2.0 for all coursework attempted at FGCU.
- A minimum grade of C for each course used to satisfy the following categories: common prerequisites, required courses in the major, and electives in the major.
- Satisfaction of the Communication and Computation Skills and foreign language entrance requirements.
- Satisfaction of the Service Learning requirement (See www.fgcu.edu/connect).
- Satisfaction of the residency requirement: thirty of the last sixty credits must be completed at FGCU.
- Completion of the summer course enrollment requirement.
- Submit an Application for Graduation by the deadline listed in the FGCU Academic Calendar.
Transfer Notes and Acceptable Substitutes
- MMC X540 or MMC XXXX may substitute for MMC 2604.
For All Majors: Students are strongly recommended to select required lower division electives that will enhance their General Education coursework and that will support their intended baccalaureate degree program. Students should consult with an academic advisor in their major degree area.