Program Admission Requirements
- Submit an FGCU Undergraduate Admission Application and satisfy all applicable university admission requirements.
- Complete common prerequisites with a grade of C or better.
- Attend an orientation session.
- Sign an Advising Agreement document.
- FGCU General Education Program (GEP) (36 hrs)
Refer to the General Education Program for more information.
- Communication (6 hrs)
- ENC 1101 (3)
- ENC 1102 (3)
- Mathematics (6 hrs)
- STA 2023 (3)
- MAC 2311 (4) recommended
- Humanities (9 hrs
- HUM 2510 (3
- Social Sciences (6-9 hrs)
- Natural Sciences (6-9 hrs)
- BSC 1011C (4) or BSC 1011 (3) and BSC 1011L (1)
- CHM 1045C (4) or CHM 1045 (3) and CHM 1045L (1)
- CHM 1046C (4) or CHM 1046 (3) and CHM 1046L (1)
Note: At least one Natural Sciences course must include a laboratory or field component. Courses meeting this requirement contain a “C” or “L” in their course numbers. Each combined lecture and laboratory course (marked with a C) is equivalent to taking the lecture and laboratory separately.
- Common Prerequisites
- BSC 1010C General Biology w/lab I (4) or BSC 1010 (3) and BSC 1010L (1) or PHY 2054C College Physics II w/lab (4)
- BSC 1011C General Biology w/lab II (4) or BSC 1011 (3) and BSC 1011L (1) (GEP)
- CHM 1045C General Chemistry I w/lab (4) or CHM 1045 (3) and CHM 1045L (1) (GEP)
- CHM 1046C General Chemistry II w/lab (4) or CHM 1046 (3) and CHM 1046L (1) (GEP)
- GLY 1000C Physical Geology (4)
- MAC 2311 Calculus I (4) (GEP) or STA 2122 Social Science Statistics (3) (GEP) or an advanced mathematics course
- PHY 2053C College Physics I w/lab (4)
- STA 2023 Statistical Methods (3) (GEP)
- Required Courses in the Major (32-33 hrs)
- BSC 1010C General Biology w/lab I (4) or an additional 3 credits from the Electives in the Major listed in #4c and 4d below.
- CHM 1084C Environmental Chemistry (4)
- GLY 4700C Coastal and Watershed Geology (3)
- IDS 3300 Foundations of Civic Engagement (3)
- ISC 3120C Scientific Process (3)
- OCB 4633C Marine Ecology (3)
- OCB 4936 Senior Seminar in Marine Science (1)
- OCC 4002C Marine Chemistry (3)
- OCE 3008C Oceanography (3)
- OCP 3002C Physical Oceanography (3)
- PCB 3463C Marine Eco Monitoring and Research Methods (3)
- Electives in the Major (20-21 hrs)
Students are asked to select their electives equitably between the physical and biological sciences to best ensure they are well prepared as interdisciplinary marine scientists.
- Select one of the following:
- ISC 4910 Sr. Proj Rsch Intrdisc Nat Sci (3)
- ISC 4940 Internship in Interdis Nat Sci (3)
- Select 2 hours in any combination from the following:
- BSC 4933* Current Topics (1)
- EVR 4920* Current Topics (1)
- ISC 4930* Current Topics (1)
*This course/prefix number can be repeated as long as the topic is different.
- Select 6 hours from the following Ecological/Biological courses:
- EVR 4024C Microbial Ecology (3)
- EVS 4814C Environmental Toxicology (3)
- PAD 4343C Coastal Zone Management (3)
- PCB 3043C General Ecology (3)
- PCB 4303C Limnology (3)
- PCB 4442C Wetland Ecology (3)
- ZOO 3205C Invertebrate Zoology (3)
- ZOO 4454C Ichthyology (3)
- ZOO 4894C Fisheries Management (3)
- Select 6-7 hours from the following Physical/Statistical/Geological courses:
- GLY 3420C Tectonics and Marine Geology (4)
- GLY 3603C Geobiology (3)
- GLY 4071 Paleoclimatology (3)
- GLY 4074C Meteorology & Climatology (3)
- GLY 4244C Biogeochemistry (3)
- GLY 4574C Sediment Dynamics (3)
- GLY 4952 Carbonate Deposition Environs (3)
- STA 3163 Applied Statistics (3)
- Select 3 hours from the following:
- BCH, BOT, BSC, CHM, EVR, EVS,GLY, MAP, OCB, OCC, OCE, OCG, OCP, PCB, PHY, ZOO — 3000-4999 (3)
- University Requirements (3 hrs)
- IDS 3920 University Colloquium (3)
- Additional Electives (variable)
TOTAL SEMESTER HOURS REQUIRED: 120 HRS
Additional Graduation Requirements
- A minimum of 120 credit hours.
- A minimum of 48 of the 120 hours must be at the upper division (3000 - 4999) level.
- A cumulative GPA of 2.0 for all coursework attempted at FGCU.
- A minimum grade of C for each course used to satisfy the following categories: common prerequisites, required courses in the major, and electives in the major.
- Satisfaction of the Communication and Computation Skills and foreign language entrance requirements.
- Satisfaction of the Service Learning requirement (See www.fgcu.edu/connect).
- Satisfaction of the residency requirement: thirty of the last sixty credits must be completed at FGCU.
- Completion of the summer course enrollment requirement.
- Submit an online Application for Graduation via Gulfline by the deadline listed in the FGCU Academic Calendar.
Transfer Notes and Acceptable Substitutes
The following substitutions are acceptable for common prerequisites and must be completed with a grade of C or better.
- BSC 1011C: may substitute BSC X011 and BSC X011L or BSC X011C (4)
- CHM 1045C: may substitute CHM X045 and CHM X045L or CHM X045C (4)
- CHM 1046C: may substitute CHM X046 and CHM X046L or CHM X046C (4)
- GLY 1000C: may substitute for GLY X000C or (GLY X000 and GLY X000L) or GLY X010C or (GLY X010 and GLY X010L) (4)
- PHY 2053C: may substitute PHY X053 and PHY X053L or PHY X053C (4)
- PHY 2054C or BSC 1010C: may substitute PHY 2054 and PHY 2054L or PHY X054C or BSC X010 and BSC X010L or BSC X010C (4)
- MAC 2311 or STA 2122: may substitute MAC X311 or STA X122 (4)**
- STA 2023: may substitute STA X023 (3)
**Or an advanced mathematics course
For All Majors: Students are strongly recommended to select required lower division electives that will enhance their General Education coursework and that will support their intended baccalaureate degree program. Students should consult with an academic advisor in their major degree area.
The information contained in this catalog excerpt is intended for informational purposes only. Every effort is made to provide this information as accurately as possible at the time of publication; however, the university reserves the right to revise any section or part without notice or obligation. Printed on: 11/26/2014.