Program Admission Requirements
- Submit an FGCU Undergraduate Admission Application and satisfy all applicable university admission requirements.
- Complete common prerequisites with a grade of C or better.
- Attend an orientation session.
- Sign an Advising Agreement document.
FGCU General Education Program (GEP) (36 hrs)
Refer to the General Education Program for more information.
- Communication (6 hrs)
- ENC 1101 (3)
- ENC 1102 (3)
- Mathematics (6 hrs)
- STA 2037 or STA 2023 (3)
- MAC 2311 (4)
- Humanities (9 hrs)
- HUM 2510 (3)
- Social Sciences (6-9 hrs)
- Natural Sciences (6-9 hrs)
- PHY 2048C (4) recommended
Note: At least one Natural Sciences course must include a laboratory or field component. Courses meeting this requirement contain a “C” or “L” in their course numbers. Each combined lecture and laboratory course (marked with a C) is equivalent to taking the lecture and laboratory separately.
- Common Prerequisites
- COP 1500 Intro to Computer Science (3)
- MAC 2311 Calculus I (4) (GEP)
- MAC 2312 Calculus II (4)
- MAC 2313 Calculus III (4)
- MAP 2302 Differential Equations (3)
- PHY 2048C General Physics with Lab I (4) (GEP)
- Required Courses in the Major (37 hrs)
- IDS 3143 Issues in Science and Technology (3)
- IDS 3300 Foundations of Civic Engagement (3)
- IDS 3332 Issues in Culture and Society (3)
- IDS 4910 Integrated Core Senior Seminar (3)
- MAA 4226 Analysis I (3)
- MAP 3161 Math for Science and Engineering (4)
- MAP 3162 Probability and Statistics (4)
- MAP 3163 Operations Research I (3)
- MAS 3105 Linear Algebra (3)
- MAS 4301 Abstract Algebra I (3)
- MAT 4937 Senior Seminar (2)
- MHF 2191 Mathematical Foundations (3)
- Electives in the Major (9 hrs)
- Select 3 hrs of the following (depth requirement):*
- MAA 4227 Analysis II (3)
- MAP 4231 Operations Research II (3)
- MAP 4314 Dynamical Systems (3)
- MAS 4106 Matrix Analysis (3)
- MAS 4302 Abstract Algebra II (3)
- STA 4234 Introduction to Regression Analysis (3)
- Select 6 hrs from the following prefixes numbered 3000-4999: MAA, MAD, MAP, MAS, MAT, MHF, or STA *
*A course used to satisfy the depth requirement may not also be used to satisfy this restricted elective requirement.
- University Requirements (3 hrs)
- IDS 3920 University Colloquium (3)
- Additional Electives (variable)
TOTAL SEMESTER HOURS REQUIRED: 120 HRS
Additional Graduation Requirements
- A minimum of 120 credit hours.
- A minimum of 48 of the 120 hours must be at the upper division (3000 - 4999) level.
- A cumulative GPA of 2.0 for all coursework attempted at FGCU.
- A minimum grade of C for each course used to satisfy the following categories: common prerequisites, required courses in the major, and electives in the major.
- Satisfaction of the Communication and Computation Skills and foreign language entrance requirements.
- Satisfaction of the Service Learning requirement (See www.fgcu.edu/connect).
- Satisfaction of the residency requirement: thirty of the last sixty credits must be completed at FGCU.
- Completion of the summer course enrollment requirement.
- Submit an online Application for Graduation via Gulfline by the deadline listed in the FGCU Academic Calendar.
Transfer Notes and Acceptable Substitutes
The following substitutions are acceptable for common prerequisites and must be completed with a grade of C or better.
- COP 1500: may substitute COP XXXX (3)
- MAC 2311: may substitute MAC X311 (4)
- MAC 2312: may substitute MAC X312 (4)
- MAC 2313: may substitute MAC X313 (4)
- MAP 2302: may substitute MAP X302 (4)
- PHY 2048C: may substitute BSC XXXX/XXXXL (4) or CHM XXXX/XXXXL (4) or PHY XXXX/XXXXL (4) or GLY XXXX/XXXXL (4) or a laboratory-based science course designed for science majors (4)
For All Majors: Students are strongly recommended to select required lower division electives that will enhance their General Education coursework and that will support their intended baccalaureate degree program. Students should consult with an academic advisor in their major degree area.
The information contained in this catalog excerpt is intended for informational purposes only. Every effort is made to provide this information as accurately as possible at the time of publication; however, the university reserves the right to revise any section or part without notice or obligation. Printed on: 1/31/2015.