The Bachelor of Science in Community Health degree is designed to prepare students for various careers in addressing the health and wellness needs of individuals, groups and communities. A healthy community, as described by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (2001, p. 1), is "one that embraces the belief that health is more than merely an absence of disease; a healthy community includes those elements that enable people to maintain a high quality of life and productivity."
The curriculum prepares graduates of this program for multiple paths: graduate study in occupational therapy, public health, and other allied health professions or employment as a health educator or other community health professional. Students may pursue the degree requirements on a full-time or part-time basis. Service learning experiences and a capstone project are completed in partnership with community agencies.
Program Admission Requirements
- Submission of a FGCU Undergraduate Admission Application and satisfaction of all applicable university admission requirements.
- At the time of application to the major, 18 hours of prerequisite course work must be completed. At the time of admission to the major, prerequisite courses must be completed with a grade of C or better (a grade of C- is not acceptable).
- Student must contact the Executive Secretary of the Department of Health Sciences in order to fill out a Declaration of Major form and be assigned to an Academic Advisor.
To prevent or minimize excess hours, select general education courses that satisfy common prerequisite requirements for your intended major.
FGCU General Education Program (http://www.fgcu.edu/general_education/)
- Common Prerequisites
A minimum grade of C is required in each course
FGCU Course: BSC 1085C Hum Anat & Physio w/Lab I (4)
Acceptable Substitute: BSCX093C or APKX100C
FGCU Course: BSC 1086C Hum Anat & Physio w/Lab II (4)
Acceptable Substitute: BSCX094C or APKX105C
FGCU Course: CHM 1045C General Chem w/Lab I (4)
Acceptable Substitute: CHMX045C or CHMX045
FGCU Course: MCB 2010C Microbiology with Lab (4)
Acceptable Substitute: MCBX013C or (MCBX000 and MCBX000L)
FGCU Course: MAC 1105 College Algebra (3)
Acceptable Substitute: MACX105 or MACX147
FGCU Course: PSY 2012 General Psychology (3)
Acceptable Substitute: PSYX012
FGCU Course: STA 2023 Statistical Methods (3)
Acceptable Substitute: STAXXXX or STAX023
- Required Courses in the Major (45 credits)
CLP 3140 Basic Psychopathology (3)
DEP 2004 Principles of Development (3)
HSA 3013 Mgmt for Non-Profit Agencies (3)
HSC 2577 Nutri Human Health & Wellness (3)
HSC 3133 Health and Human Sexuality (3)
HSC 3201 Healthy Communities (3)
HSC 3202 Introduction to Public Health (3)
HSC 3208 Health Education Foundations (3)
HSC 3582 Occupation and Participation (3)
HSC 3661C Dynamics of Communication (3)
HSC 4500 Epidemiology (3)
HSC 4555 Disease, Impairment & Function (3)
HSC 4910 Capstone in Community Health (3)
IHS 3112 Legal & Ethical Princ of Health Care (3)
IHS 4504 Research Methods in HealthCare (3)
- Restricted Electives (6 credits)
Select from the following (Advisor approval required):
GEY 3001* Introduction to Gerontology (3)
GEY 3601* Aging and Human Performance (3)
HSA 3111 US Health Care Systems (3)
HSC 3131 Health Counseling (3)
HSC 3537 Medical Terminology (3)
HSC 3624 Global Health Systems & Issues (3)
HSC 4150** Impacts of Substance Abuse (3)
HSC 4241 Needs Assmt & Program Plan (3)
HSC 4696 Case Management Fundamentals (3)
HSC 4814 Community Health Practicum (3)
OTH 3417C Musculoskeletal Anatomy (3)
OTH 3429C Neuroanatomy & Function (3)
PHY 2020*** Conceptual Physics (3)
PHY 2053C*** College Physics w/Lab I (4)
SOW 4601 Issues in Health/Mental Health (3)
SOW 4643* Issues in Aging (3)
SOW 4702** Chemical Dependency (3)
*Only one of GEY 3001, GEY 3601, or SOW 4643 may be selected.
**Only one of HSC 4150 or SOW 4702 may be selected.
***Only one of PHY 2020 or PHY 2053C may be selected.
- University Requirements (3 credits)
IDS 3920 University Colloquium (3)
- Additional Electives - as needed to reach total credits required for the degree
TOTAL SEMESTER HOURS REQUIRED: 120 HRS
Additional Graduation Requirements
- Apply for graduation by deadline indicated in the university calendar
- Students must satisfactorily complete a minimum of 120 credits.
- At least 48 of the 120 credits must be in the upper division (3000 and higher).
- At least 30 of the last 60 credits must be earned at FGCU.
- A cumulative GPA of 2.0 is required for all coursework attempted at FGCU.
- A minimum grade of C is required for all completed courses included in the Community Health major for a student to be progressed through the curriculum.
- Satisfy College-Level Skills and foreign language entrance requirements.
- Satisfy Service Learning requirement. See http://www.fgcu.edu/connect/
The information contained in this catalog excerpt is intended for informational purposes only. Every effort is made to provide this information as accurately as possible at the time of publication; however, the university reserves the right to revise any section or part without notice or obligation. Printed on: 7/1/2015.