Clinical Laboratory Science is designed for students who seek a Bachelor of Science degree, national certification and Florida licensure as a clinical laboratory scientist. The post-baccalaureate certificate program in Clinical Laboratory Science is designed for students with baccalaureate degrees in the chemical or biological sciences who seek licensure/certification in clinical laboratory science. Your knowledge of the human body in health and disease is broadened in courses that include physiology, chemistry, human genetics, microbiology, transfusion medicine, immunology, hematology and molecular diagnostics. Clinical experiences at community laboratories are integrated within the curriculum and enhance your growth as professionals. Graduates of this program have diverse skills for employment in a clinical or research setting. The CLS curriculum also serves as a solid preparation for medical, dental, veterinary, pharmacy, and graduate school.
The CLS program is accredited by the National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences (NAACLS), 5600 N. River Road, Suite 720, Rosemont, IL 60018, 773-714-8880.
Program Admission Requirements
The BS in Clinical Laboratory Science program at FGCU has been designated as limited access. Consequently, the selection process is competitive and all qualified applicants may not be admitted to the program.
- Submit FGCU Undergraduate Admission Application and satisfy all applicable university admission requirements.
- TOEFL or IELTS scores that meet minimum university admission requirements are required from applicants who have earned their bachelor's degree outside the United States in a country where English is not the official language. This requirement is not limited to international students.
- Submission of a completed Clinical Laboratory Science supplemental application after completion of common prerequisites.
- Earn a grade of C or better (a grade of C- or less is not acceptable) in each common prerequisite course.
- Earn a minimum combined GPA of 3.00 (on a 4.0 scale) for all common prerequisite courses.
- Applicants must be admitted to FGCU and supplemental application materials must be received prior to the established deadline.
FGCU General Education (36 hrs)
Refer to the General Education Program for more information.
- Communication (6 hrs)
- Mathematics (6 hrs)
- Select STA 2023
- Humanities (9 hrs)
- Social Sciences (6-9 hrs)
- Natural Sciences (6-9 hrs)
- Select from Common Prerequisites
Note: At least one Natural Sciences course must include a laboratory or field component. Courses meeting this requirement contain a “C” or “L” in their course numbers. Each combined lecture and laboratory course (marked with a C) is equivalent to taking the lecture and laboratory separately.
- Common Prerequisites
- BSC X010C General Biology w/Lab I (4)
[BSC 1010C recommended]
- BSC X085C Anatomy & Physiology w/ Lab I (4)
[BSC 1085C recommended]
- BSC X086C Anatomy & Physiology w/Lab II (4)
[BSC 1086C recommended]
- CHM X045C General Chemistry w/Lab I (4)
[CHM 1045C recommended]
- CHM X046C General Chemistry w/Lab II (4)
[CHM 1046C recommended]
- CHM X210C Organic Chemistry I w/Lab (4)
- CHM X211C Organic Chemistry II w/Lab (4)
- MCB X020C General Microbiology (4)
[MCB 3020C recommended]
- STA X023 Statistics (3)
[STA 2023 recommended]
- Required Courses in the Major (60 hrs)
- BCH 3023C Biochemistry (3)
- IHS 3101 Shaping Health Care in the 21st Century (3)
- IHS 3203 Management & Leadership in Health Care Organizations (3)
- IHS 4504 Research Methods in Health Care (3)
- IHS 4938 Senior Seminar (3)
- MLS 3038 Essentials of CLS (3)
- MLS 3220 Biological Fluid Analysis (2)
- MLS 4191 Molecular Diagnostics (3)
- MLS 4308 Hematology/Hemostasis (3)
- MLS 4404 Diagnostic Microbiology (3)
- MLS 4462 Diagnostic Virology/Mycology/Parasitology (3)
- MLS 4505 Clinical Immunology (2)
- MLS 4550 Immunohematology & Transfusion (3)
- MLS 4627 Clinical Biochemistry (3)
- MLS 4820C Clinical Biochemistry Practicum (3)
- MLS 4821C Clinical Microbiology Practicum (3)
- MLS 4822C Clinical Hematology Practicum (3)
- MLS 4823C Clinical Immunohematology Practicum (3)
- MLS 4826C Clinical Immunology Practicum (2)
- PCB 2336 Human Genetics (3)
- PCB 4233C Immunology (3)
- University Requirements (3 hrs)
- IDS 3920 University Colloquium (3)
- Additional Electives (variable)
Additional electives may be required to reach a minimum of 123 credit hours for the baccalaureate degree.
TOTAL SEMESTER HOURS REQUIRED: 123 HRS
Additional Graduation Requirements
- Earn a minimum of 123 semester hours with a cumulative grade point average of 2.0 on all course work attempted at FGCU.
- Within the 123 total credit hours, a minimum of 48 credit hours at the upper division (courses numbered 3000 and higher).
- Earn a grade of C or above in all courses identified in Sections 2, 3, 4, and 5 above. A grade of C- does not satisfy the requirement of a minimum grade of C.
- Satisfy Communication and Computation Skills and foreign language entrance requirements.
- Satisfy service-learning requirement. See www.fgcu.edu/connect/
- At least 25% of the coursework required for the degree and 30 of the last 60 hours must be earned at FGCU.
Transfer Notes and Acceptable Substitutes
- BSC X010C General Biology w/Lab I: may substitute BSC X011C, BSC X010/X010L, BSC X011/X011L, PCB X011C, PCB X011/X011L, PCB X013C, PCB X013/X013L ZOO X010/X010L
- BSC X085C Anatomy & Physiology w/ Lab I : may substitute BSC X085/X085L, BSC X093/X093L, BSC X093C, PCB X510/X510L, PCB X510C, ZOO X733C, ZOO X731C
- BSC X086C Anatomy & Physiology w/Lab II: may substitute BSC X086/X086L, BSC X094C, BSC X094/X094L, PCB X702/X702L, PCB X703C, PCB X703/X703L, PCB X134C, PCB X134/X134L
- CHM X045C General Chemistry w/Lab I : may substitute CHM X045/X045L, CHM X040C, CHM X041C
- CHM X046C General Chemistry w/Lab II: may substitute CHM X046/X046L
- CHM X210C Organic Chemistry I w/Lab: may substitute CHM X210/X210L
- CHM X211C Organic Chemistry II w/Lab: may substitute CHM X211/X211L
- MCB X020C General Microbiology : may substitute MCB X020/X020L, MCB X013/X013L, MCB X013C, MCB X023/X023L, MCB X023C, MCB X010/X010L, MCB X010C
- STA X023 Statistics: may substitute STA X014, STA X022, STA X024, STA X321
For All Majors: Students are strongly encouraged to select required lower division electives that will enhance their general education coursework and that will support their intended baccalaureate degree program. Students should consult with an academic advisor in their major degree area.
The information contained in this catalog excerpt is intended for informational purposes only. Every effort is made to provide this information as accurately as possible at the time of publication; however, the university reserves the right to revise any section or part without notice or obligation. Printed on: 10/24/2014.