The mission of Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) is to develop and provide services that promote emotional, social, intellectual, and cultural well-being for all Florida Gulf Coast University students.
CAPS Statement of Goals and Objectives
1. CAPS will provide confidential and professional services adhering to State and Federal law, state licensing boards, ethical standards established by professional associations, and national certification organizations. These services uphold the University goal of student retention by providing support that students may need to achieve their academic and personal goals.
Objective: We meet the developmental needs of students through providing short-term confidential individual and group therapy, psychiatry services, crisis intervention, psychoeducation, biofeedback, and assessment.
2. CAPS will provide consultation and collaboration and will maintain working relationships on and off campus
Objective: CAPS staff works collaboratively with other university departments and providers in the community to build relationships that improve communication on and off campus, inform faculty and staff about student mental health needs and CAPS services, and develop and secure resources for student needs.
3. CAPS will provide outreach and prevention services for the development of students and the overall wellness of the entire campus community.
Objective: As active participants in the campus community, we foster a healthy and diverse community through education, crisis prevention and intervention, workshops, training, teaching, and consultation to administrators, faculty, staff, and parents
4. CAPS will provide training that fosters the growth of ethical, highly-skilled, and culturally competent professionals.
Objective: CAPS furthers the University’s educational mission by training master’s and doctoral level students in mental health counseling, social work, and psychology to provide competent mental health services.
5. CAPS will be proactive and responsive to the changing needs of our student population by continually developing high-quality services and training programs for students and the university community.
Objective: CAPS staff actively pursues professional development opportunities in order to provide the highest quality of service to our increasingly diverse student and university community.
6. CAPS will foster and model an atmosphere of wellness and balance.
Objective: CAPS provides a work environment that promotes self-care through creativity, professional satisfaction, positivity, and strong connections among its members.