The Regional Economic Research Institute (RERI) was developed to perform economic research, analysis, and forecasting for both the region and the individual economic development organizations in this area. The structure of the RERI includes partnership with the Southwest Florida Regional Planning Council and the area economic development organizations.
The director of RERI is Dr. Christopher Westley, Professor of Economics in the Lutgert College of Business.
February 14, 2017: Presenting a wide range of social, economic, and demographic data for our region, the Regional Economic Research Institute released its first annual Southwest Florida Economic Almanac today.
View the Almanac
March 8, 2017: First Quarter 2017 Industry Diversification Report issued
View the report
March 1, 2017: March 2017 Regional Economic Indicators Report issued
View the report release
February 17, 2017: First Quarter Lee County Business Climate Survey - Report issued
View the report
February 7, 2017: Workforce Now 2016 Overview Study issued by RERI and other members of the Research Team
View the study | More about Workforce Now
- Industry Diversification Report
Beginning with the first quarter of 2016, RERI has issued this report. It analyzes the RERI-designed FGCU Industry Diversification Index. The goal of the IDI is to measure industry diversification and, by extension, that of the workforce, in each of Florida's 24 workforce regions, the state of Florida, and the remaining 49 states.
- Business Climate Survey Report
Beginning with the first quarter of 2012, RERI has issuined this report. This quarterly report is a result of a partnership between The Horizon Council and Florida Gulf Coast University. The Horizon Council is a public-private board established in 1991 to advise the Lee County Board of Commissioners on economic development issues.
The Report summarizes the results of the Executive Business Climate Survey. It provides a view of the local economy, based on responses from senior executives of companies from a broad range of industries across the county.
In addition to these quarterly reports, RERI continues to issue a monthly report: Regional Economic Indicators, which analyzes a wide range of economic data from the 5-county region of Southwest Florida. It also includes National economic data of interest. The monthly Indicators report has been issued since early 2007.
Documents most recently issued by the Institute:
(For earlier documents, see the Archive page)
Our Quarterly Reports
Our Monthly Report:
Regional Economic Indicators, March 2017. (22 pages)
The report was released by RERI on March 1, 2017. Comments at the release of the report:
Here are some key findings:
Notes and Asides:
- The Workforce Now research team released the Workforce Now 2016 Overview Study in February. The document provides information on workforce gaps including skills, knowledge, and characteristics desired by regional employers for the five-county area.
- The RERI and the Horizon Council published the Lee County Business Climate Survey Report for the 1st quarter of 2017 in February. The Executive Business Climate Index for Lee County rose for the second consecutive quarter.
- Thank you to everyone who provided feedback on the Southwest Florida Economic Almanac 2017, which was released earlier this month. The RERI is still soliciting sponsorships for the current edition of the almanac. Please email email@example.com for more information.
Many additional documents that can be reviewed and downloaded are available on the Reports and Studies page.
Links to our partner organizations are available on the Links page.
To request more information, see the Contact Us page.