The Regional Economic Research Institute (RERI) was developed to perform economic research, analysis, and forecasting for both the region and the individual economic development organizations in this area. The structure of the RERI includes partnership with the Southwest Florida Regional Planning Council and the area economic development organizations.
The director of RERI is Dr. Christopher Westley, Professor of Economics in the Lutgert College of Business.
February 14, 2017: Presenting a wide range of social, economic, and demographic data for our region, the Regional Economic Research Institute released its first annual Southwest Florida Economic Almanac today.
View the Almanac
June 30, 2017: July 2017 Regional Economic Indicators Report issued
View the report release
June 16, 2017: Second Quarter 2017 Industry Diversification Report issued
View the report
May 12, 2017: Second Quarter Lee County Business Climate Survey - Report issued
View the report
February 7, 2017: Workforce Now 2016 Overview Study issued by RERI and other members of the Research Team
View the study | More about Workforce Now
- Industry Diversification Report
Beginning with the first quarter of 2016, RERI has issued this report. It analyzes the RERI-designed FGCU Industry Diversification Index. The goal of the IDI is to measure industry diversification and, by extension, that of the workforce, in each of Florida's 24 workforce regions, the state of Florida, and the remaining 49 states.
- Business Climate Survey Report
Beginning with the first quarter of 2012, RERI has issued this report. This quarterly report is a result of a partnership between The Horizon Council and Florida Gulf Coast University. The Horizon Council is a public-private board established in 1991 to advise the Lee County Board of Commissioners on economic development issues.
The Report summarizes the results of the Executive Business Climate Survey. It provides a view of the local economy, based on responses from senior executives of companies from a broad range of industries across the county.
In addition to these quarterly reports, RERI continues to issue a monthly report: Regional Economic Indicators, which analyzes a wide range of economic data from the 5-county region of Southwest Florida. It also includes National economic data of interest. The monthly Indicators report has been issued since early 2007.
Documents most recently issued by the Institute:
(For earlier documents, see the Archive page)
Our Quarterly Reports
Our Monthly Report:
Regional Economic Indicators, July 2017. (24 pages)
The report was released by RERI on June 30, 2017. Comments at the release of the report:
Here are some key findings:
Notes and Asides:
- The Regional Economic Research Institute released the latest industry diversification numbers for Southwest Florida and the state on June 16th. For more details, see the Industry Diversification Project website.
- Based on data recently released by the Quarterly Survey of Employment and Wages, 2016 wage growth in Lee and Collier counties was 2.35% and 0.71% in Lee and Collier counties, respectively. This compares to 2016 home price appreciation in Lee and Collier for 2016 of 7.79% and 3.14%.
- RERI Director Chris Westley spoke to the Entrepreneurs Society of America on June 28th. For more information on this organization and its activities in Southwest Florida, see their website.
Many additional documents that can be reviewed and downloaded are available on the Reports and Studies page.
Links to our partner organizations are available on the Links page.
To request more information, see the Contact Us page.