FGCU Renaissance Academy Launches Major Chinese Art Lecture Series
FORT MYERS, FL - Six experts in Chinese art and culture will present a series of lectures open to the public 4 p.m. Tuesdays beginning Jan. 20 at the Florida Gulf Coast University Naples Center, 1010 Fifth Ave. S.
Sponsored by the FGCU Renaissance Academy and its new Chinese Art Study Group, the lectures will range from 17th century landscape painting to modern calligraphy. A wine and cheese reception will follow each lecture.
Scheduled eminent scholars include:
· Maxwell Hearn, curator of Asian art, Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York City (Jan. 20)
· Yiguo Zhang, research fellow, Museum of Fine Arts, Boston (Feb. 3)
· Willow Hai Chang, gallery director, China Institute, New York City (Feb. 24)
· Joseph Chang, associate curator of Chinese art, Smithsonian Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery, Washington, D.C. (March 2)
· John Finlay, curator of Chinese art, The Norton Museum, West Palm Beach (March 16)
· C. L. Ma, author and lecturer, Beijing, China (March 23)
FGCU created the Renaissance Academy on the premise that learning should never stop and that keeping the mind intellectually, creatively and culturally active fundamentally enhances the quality of life.
Seating is limited and reservations are suggested. Cost is $15 per lecture or $75 for the series.
For more information, contact the FGCU Naples Center at (239) 434-4737 or the Renaissance Academy at (239) 590-1095.