These words are used often in these tutorials, so learn them now!
- Hyperlink - Text or graphic hotspots that load other
webpages when clicked on.
- Pixel - The unit of measurement on the web. One pixel
is approximately the size of a period (.) in 12-point Arial font.
- Shortcut menu - As with all PC programs, access popup
shortcut menus by right-clicking on objects with the mouse.
- URL (Universal Resource Locator) - The address of a web
site. This what is after the "http://" on the location
bar on your browser.
- Web - In FrontPage, your web site is referred to as a
FrontPage Screen Layout
Below is a diagram of the default page layout in FrontPage. You
can change the view by selecting a different View Option.
- Page view gives you a WYSIWYG editing environment for
creating and editing web pages.
- Folders view lists all of the files and folders in your
web for easy management.
- Reports view identifies problems with pages and links
in the web including slow-loading pages, broken links, and other
- Navigation view lists the navigation order of the site
and allows you to change the order that a user would view the
- Hyperlinks view allows you to organize the links in the
- Tasks view provides a grid for inputting tasks you need
to complete in your web.
Creating a Web Using the Web Wizard
- Open FrontPage and select File|New|Web... from the menu
bar or click the small down arrow next to the New button
on the standard toolbar and select Web....
- Select the type of web you want to create. It is usually best
to create a simple One Page Web which you can add additional
blank pages to as you need them. Enter a location for the web
in the box provided beginning with "http://". This is
the location where you can preview the web on your computer. It
will need to be copied to the server to be viewed to the world
on the WWW.
- Click OK and wait for FrontPage to finish creating the
- Now, explore your web. Click Folders view to see the
initial page (default.htm) that was created and two folders. The
"images" folder is where you will place all your graphics
and photos. While it is not imperative that the images be placed
in a separate folder, it keeps the web organized.
- Click on Reports view to see a list of reports for the
site. As you construct your web, this page will be much more useful.
From here, you can identify and correct broken hyperlinks and
fix large pages that take a long time to load.
- View the navigation layout of the web by clicking Navigation
view. Right now, there is only one page - the home page -
listed. As more pages are added, this page becomes helpful to
see how all your pages are linked together.
- Hyperlinks view allows you to manage the links on your pages.
- Optional - in Tasks view, list the tasks that need to be accomplished
to create the web. Select Edit|Task|Add Tasks to add a
task. Or click the down arrow beside the New button on the standard
- Make pages and save them, marking them as completed in the task
- Click Folders view to locate the open the next page to
- When you are ready to publish your web on the FGCU server, copy
the folder to the server.
Creating a Web Page from a Template
FrontPage provides many individual page templates that can be
added to any web. Follow these steps to add a template to a web
- Select File|New|Page... and choose a template.
- Select a template and click OK.
- Replace the place-holding body text with your own text and photos
with images you would like on your web page.
When your web is completed, click Reports view to verify
that links are correct and use the Reporting toolbar to switch
Open A Web
To open a web you have already created, select File|Open Web...
from the menu bar. Select the web folder from the list and click
Saving A Web
Save all the pages within the web created by FrontPage. These
pages, however, are not visible to anyone on the Internet. You must
copy the entire web folder to a network drive.