Creating and Opening Documents
There are several ways to create new documents, open existing documents,
and save documents in Word:
Create a New Document
- Click the New Document button on the menu bar.
- Choose File|New from the menu bar.
- Press CTRL+N (depress the CTRL key while pressing
"N") on the keyboard.
Open an Existing Document
- Click the Open File button on the menu bar.
- Choose File|Open from the menu bar.
- Press CTRL+O on the keyboard.
Each method will show the Open dialog box. Choose the file
and click the Open button.
Save a Document
- Click the Save button on the menu bar.
- Select File|Save from the menu bar.
- Press CTRL+S on the keyboard.
To rename a Word document while using the program, select File|Open
and find the file you want to rename. Right-click on the document
name with the mouse and select Rename from the shortcut menu.
Type the new name for the file and press the ENTER
Working on Multiple Documents
Several documents can be opened simultaneously if you are typing
or editing multiple documents at once. All open documents
are listed under the Window menu as shown below. The current
document has a checkmark beside the file name. Select another name
to view another open document or click the button on the Windows
taskbar at the bottom of the screen.
Close a Document
Close the current document by selecting File|Close or click
the Close icon if it's visible on the Standard Toolbar.