The page margins of the document can be changed using the rulers
on the page and the Page Setup window. The ruler method is
- Move the mouse over the area where the white ruler changes to
- When the cursor becomes a double-ended arrow, click with the
mouse and drag the margin indicator to the desired location.
- Release the mouse when the margin is set.
The margins can also be changed using the Page Setup dialog
- Select File|Page Setup and choose the Margins tab
in the dialog box.
- Enter margin values in the Top, Bottom, Left,
and Right boxes. The Preview window will reflect
- If the document has Headers and/or Footers, the
distance this text appears from the edge of the page can be changed.
- Click OK when finished.
Page Size and Orientation
Change the orientation page within the Page Setup dialog box.
- Select File|Page Setup and choose the Paper Size
- Select the proper paper size from the drop-down menu.
- Change the orientation from Portrait or Landscape
by checking the corresponding radio button.
Headers and Footers
A header is text that is added to the top margin of every page
such as a document title or page number and a footer is text added
to the bottom margin. Follow these steps to add or edit headers
and footers in the document:
- Select View|Header and Footer from the menu bar. The
Header and Footer toolbar will appear and the top of the page
will be highlighted as shown below.
- Type the heading in the Header box. You may use many
of the standard text formatting options such as font face, size,
bold, italics, etc.
- Click the Insert AutoText button to view a list of quick
- Use the other options on the toolbar to add page numbers, the
current date and time.
- To edit the footer, click the Switch Between Header and Footer
button on the toolbar.
- When you are finished adding headers and footers, click the
Close button on the toolbar.
Follow these instructions for another way to add page numbers
to a document.
- Select Insert|Page Numbers from the menu bar and the
following dialog box will appear.
- Select the position of the page numbers by choosing "Top
of page" or "Bottom of page" from the Position
- Select the alignment of the page numbers in the Alignment
- If you do not want the page number to show on the first page
(if it is a title page, for example), uncheck the Show number
of first page box.
- Click OK when finished.
Print Preview and Printing
Preview your document by clicking the Print Preview button on
the standard toolbar or by selecting File|Print Preview.
When the document is ready to print, click the Print button from
the Print Preview screen or select File|Print.