Office of Vice President and
Chief of Staff
Florida Gulf Coast University
10501 FGCU Blvd S.
Fort Myers, FL. 33965-6565
Phone: (239) 590-1005
Fax: (239) 590-1066
HALO Coalition Presents Symposium to Discuss Assisted Lifestyles Alternatives
FORT MYERS, FL - Assisted living facility directors, nursing home administrators, developers, builders, nurses, social workers, and occupational, physical and recreational therapists, as well as people and families planning long-term elder care, are encouraged to attend a symposium to explore housing and care options for people with age-related and other disabilities 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Thursday and Friday, Aug. 15-16, at Florida Gulf Coast University in the Whitaker Hall Sprint Room.
Secretary of the Department of Elder Affairs for the state of Florida, Terry White, is the keynote speaker.
The “Assisted Lifestyle Alternatives” symposium includes presentations on:
· The Eden Alternative and Green House Project, an alternative approach to residential long term care, presented by Judith Rabig
· The Gizmo House, unique high-tech Smart Home allows six disabled residents to live virtually assistance-free, presented by James McGuire
· The Angel Program, care solutions through volunteerism and sponsorship, presented by Mayra Poldo
· Avoiding Environmental Ageism, matching the environment to the person’s needs, presented by Linda Buettner
· Models for Community-Based Affordable Housing, creating opportunity through partnerships, presented by Gladys Schneider
· Shelter and Care, the Interface, exploring the interface between housing and services, presented by an expert panel
The FGCU Center for Assisted Living Innovation and the FGCU Southwest Florida Interdisciplinary Center for Positive Aging are hosting the two-day event.
The HALO Coalition, or Housing, Healthcare and Assisted Living Options of Southwest Florida, is presenting the symposium.
Summerhouse, an assisted living facility; Rotech Healthcare Inc.; and Senior Source Book are sponsors.
Admission is free and includes continental breakfast and lunch. Continuing Education Units are available.
For more information, contact Gary Kluckhuhn at (941) 732-0375 or register online at www.halocoalition.org.