Office of Vice President and
Chief of Staff
Florida Gulf Coast University
10501 FGCU Blvd S.
Fort Myers, FL. 33965-6565
Phone: (239) 590-1006
Fax: (239) 590-1066
Merwin's FACU Presidency 'The Most Productive Period' Executive Director Says
FORT MYERS, FL - Florida Gulf Coast University President William C. Merwin, outgoing president of the Florida Association of Colleges and Universities, is to be commended for “the most productive period” the association’s executive director says he has ever seen.
FACU executive director Daniel B. Crowder says that achievements during Merwin’s tenure represent the most productive period during his six-year service as executive director.
Merwin was elected president of FACU for academic year 2002-03. The association is composed of a consortium of 67 colleges and universities representing all three sectors of Florida higher education - state universities, community colleges, and private and independent colleges and universities.
Crowder said several major goals were achieved during Merwin’s presidency. Most important among these were:
- The establishment of a list of legislative priorities supported by all three sectors;
- A cooperative arrangement with Florida Trend magazine to publicize the mission and purposes of the association;
- Polling institutions of higher education regarding their efforts at helping “failing” K-12 schools and systems, and publishing the results;
- Surveying cooperative efforts of institutions working with business and industry, and publishing the results; and
- Making arrangements for the research and publication of the history of the association.
For more information, contact FGCU associate vice president for Community Relations Audrea Anderson at (239) 590-1083 or Crowder at (352) 242-2633.