Office of Vice President and
Chief of Staff
Florida Gulf Coast University
10501 FGCU Blvd S.
Fort Myers, FL. 33965-6565
Phone: (239) 590-1065
Fax: (239) 590-1066
"Media and Public Relations Strategies" Workshop Offered by FGCU Florida Institute of Government
FORT MYERS, FL - Managers and supervisors from both the private and public sectors are invited to attend a full-day workshop “Media and Public Relations Strategies” presented by the Florida Institute of Government at Florida Gulf Coast University as part of its Professional Development Series 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., Friday, Aug. 22 in 111 Broadcast Building.
Participants will learn how to develop a communication plan for their business or organization and to utilize public relations for success.
· Understand and create strategies for utilizing the news media to help grow the organization, influence public opinion or generate change
· Increase expertise for issuing written or verbal press releases and other communiqués
· Write the perfect press release or guest opinion piece
· Recognize and act upon opportunities to showcase the organization or campaign
· Cultivate relationships with professionals in the news media and elsewhere
· Understand and respond appropriately to “the ambush interview”
· Use deadlines to advantage
· Create a press kit on any budget
Joanna Hogan is instructor for the program. She is a communication consultant with over 20 years experience in public relations and communication, specializing in media relations, marketing, event planning and Web site conceptualization.
Hogan creates and directs information campaigns and communication plans, teaches media relations, conducts press conferences and news monitoring, plans and directs special events, oversees designers, writers, photographers, videographers and Web site developers; shapes strategies for partnership development; and provides public speaking and speech writing.
The central purpose of the Institute is to help promote superior performance in government and nonprofit organizations through quality training, consulting and technical assistance.
As an accredited comprehensive public university, FGCU addresses the higher educational needs of Southwest Florida and provides a learning-centered environment that offers high quality educational opportunities for the general public, such as administratively hosting the Institute.
For more information, contact Institute director Joanne Hartke at (239) 590-7815. Registration for the workshop is $72.