Office of Vice President and
Chief of Staff
Florida Gulf Coast University
10501 FGCU Blvd S.
Fort Myers, FL. 33965-6565
Phone: (239) 590-1005
Fax: (239) 590-1066
Arts Complex Hosts Open House Feb. 28 in Conjunction with Transfer Eagle EXPO
FORT MYERS, FL - Florida Gulf Coast University announces the Arts Complex Open House in conjunction with the FGCU Transfer Eagle EXPO, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Saturday, Feb. 28 to celebrate the arts and the growth of the FGCU arts program.
The free event will feature live music by Fort Myers band Rhythm Culture, a sale of student art, tours of the facility, and a variety of arts demonstrations and hands-on activities for children of all ages.
· From 10 a.m. to noon, attendees can visit an open rehearsal of the FGCU Theater Program production of William Shakespeare’s As You Like It.
· Fort Myers artist Andy Browne will use flora on a gelatin base to present printmaking techniques at 10:30 a.m. and throughout the day.
· At 11 a.m., noon and 1 p.m., FGCU ceramics professor Patricia Fay will give throwing demonstrations on the potter’s wheel.
· Gallery director Kate Kramer will lead a discussion on new media and introduce Fiona Tan’s Facing Forward beginning at 11:30 a.m. The piece is from the series “Memorials of Identity: New Media from the Rubell Family Collection” currently on exhibit in the 1,800-square foot Arts Complex art gallery.
· In addition to painting and drawing lessons throughout the event, a didgeridoo workshop with FGCU sculpture student Brett Van der Heyden will teach attendees how to construct and decorate a version of this Australian instrument, and get pointers on how to play it.
The 30,000-square foot Arts Complex is comprised of five state-of-the-art studio classrooms, a woodshop, performance and rehearsal spaces, two soundproof practice rooms and a large podium classroom.
For more information, contact Lorna Patrick at (239) 590-7238.