Office of Vice President and
Chief of Staff
Florida Gulf Coast University
10501 FGCU Blvd S.
Fort Myers, FL. 33965-6565
Phone: (239) 590-1065
Fax: (239) 590-1066
Eight Local Projects Win Grant Awards from FGCU Southwest Comprehensive System of Personnel Development
FORT MYERS, FL - The Southwest Comprehensive System of Personnel Development at Florida Gulf Coast University announced recently it awarded eight grants of approximately $5,000 each to Southwest Florida projects.
The eight demonstration projects include five targeted at building capacity in schools and three early childhood-related programs developed as collaborative efforts to bring research to practice.
· Collier County Schools: for "Applied Behavior Analysis and Language Instruction for Children and Adults with Developmental Disabilities Including Autism" workshop
· Poinciana Elementary school: to train teachers on use of the Classroom Performance System focusing on 233 students in inclusive classroom settings
· Charlotte County Public Schools: for training of approximately 45 teachers as school-based teams and/or individual innovators in resource development
· Hendry County Schools: for training of ESE Teachers and Guidance Counselors in the Standing Up for Me Curriculum
· FGCU College of Education: for "Tracking Alternatively Certified Teachers" to study the effectiveness of alternatively certified teachers and solicit employer satisfaction
· FDLRS/Island Coast: for provision of informational tools and materials concerning early childhood development and resources to parents
· Lee County Schools: for weekly participation of a class of Pre-K Augmentative Communication students in inclusionary academic and social activities with a class of typically developing students of their same age group
· Early Steps of Southwest Florida: for expansion of their "Playgrounds & Playgroups Project" to include six additional low-income community areas
Funds for these initiatives are made possible by a grant from the Florida departments of Education and Health.
For more information, media representatives should contact Southwest CSPD project coordinator Peg Sullivan at (239) 590-7747 or firstname.lastname@example.org.