Office of Vice President and
Chief of Staff
Florida Gulf Coast University
10501 FGCU Blvd S.
Fort Myers, FL. 33965-6565
Phone: (239) 590-1005
Fax: (239) 590-1066
FGCU Civics Engagement Class Hosts "Regional Superintendents Assess Future of Public Education" Forum
FORT MYERS, FL - A Florida Gulf Coast University civics engagement class, in cooperation with The News-Press, invites area residents to join a discussion of the future of public education with Southwest Florida's top K-12 education leaders, 7 p.m. to 9 p.m., Wednesday, Oct. 13, in the Student Union ballroom. The event is free and open to the public.
The national conversation recently has focused on whether to extend the school year, eliminate or curb student testing, fire ineffective teachers, and reform the present system, which critics have decried as broken. Panelists will discuss the myths and realities of the present system, talk about future challenges and opportunities, and address your questions and comments.
The panelists are:
• Interim Lee County schools Superintendent Larry Tihen
• Collier County schools Superintendent Dennis Thompson
• Charlotte County Assistant Superintendent Doug Whittaker, who will assume the county's top post next year
• Alliance of Educational Leaders Executive Director Pat Riley
• Teachers Association of Lee County Executive Director Donna Mutzenard
For more information, contact FGCU adjunct instructor Bruce Diamond at (239) 590-7263, or Nicholas Chandler at (239) 961-0894.