Office of Vice President and
Chief of Staff
Florida Gulf Coast University
10501 FGCU Blvd S.
Fort Myers, FL. 33965-6565
Phone: (239) 590-1005
Fax: (239) 590-1066
FGCU, Wells Fargo Team Up for National Make a Difference Day
FORT MYERS, Fla. - Florida Gulf Coast University (FGCU) and Wells Fargo will join forces to tackle 11 projects for eight not-for-profit organizations on national Make a Difference Day, which takes place Saturday, Oct. 26.
That morning, 200 FGCU students, 70 Wells Fargo team members, 25 FGCU alumni, and 25 faculty and staff members will fan out across the region to volunteer at organizations in Fort Myers, Bonita Springs, and Naples.
The volunteers will set out to accomplish the following projects:
* Install aluminum hiking trail signs and clean the trail and general site at Bonita Nature Place in Bonita Springs.
* Create "The Difference Your Life Made" books with residents, refurbish wheelchair accessible garden beds, and assist residents in creating Facebook accounts at Cypress Cove in Fort Myers.
* Build a raised garden for students at Easter Seals Lily Academy in Naples.
* Paint kennels and assist with a garage sale and car wash at Gulf Coast Humane Society in Fort Myers.
* Renovate the basketball court and beautify the grounds of the Salvation Army in Fort Myers.
* Construct a sensory trail activity and help beautify the grounds at Special Equestrians in Fort Myers.
* Participate in coastal clean-up and outside beautification projects at FGCU's Vester Marine and Environmental Science Research Station in Bonita Springs.
* Plant trees and beautify grounds on the FGCU campus.
* Construct an outdoor room with bamboo and vines and beautify the grounds of the FGCU Family Resource Center.
* Help in gardening activities at the Food Forest on the FGCU campus.
The FGCU Foundation, Alumni Association, and Center for Civic Engagement and Service Learning are hosting the event. FGCU President Wilson G. Bradshaw and Wells Fargo Regional President Derek Jones will be among those participating.
"Community service is an integral part of who we are at FGCU," says Lindsey Touchette, director of Alumni Relations. "Although we take part in projects all year, teaming up with Wells Fargo on this national day of volunteerism is special and we hope it inspires others to join together to make a difference in their communities."
Wells Fargo feels the same way.
"Volunteerism and other forms of community support are key elements of Wells Fargo's Vision & Values," says Jones, Wells Fargo's regional president. "We strive to promote the long-term economic prosperity and quality of life for everyone in our communities so we are proud to partner with FGCU for this special day."
Wells Fargo & Company is a nationwide, diversified, community-based financial services company with $1.4 trillion in assets. Founded in 1852, Well Fargo provides banking, insurance, investments, mortgage, and consumer and commercial finance through more than 9,000 stores, 12,000 ATMs, and the Internet, and has offices in more than 35 countries to support the bank's customers who conduct business in the global economy.
This is the second year in which FGCU and Wells Fargo have joined together for Make a Difference Day, an event created by USA Weekend Magazine in 1992 as a way to illustrate the importance of volunteerism and the impact it can make. On the fourth Saturday in October, millions of people around the country step up to call attention to the vast needs not-for-profit organizations have and the many ways in which there are to help.
For more information, contact Kimberly (Williams) Wallace, alumni programming and membership, (239) 590-1087 or email@example.com.