Connect with an established Eagle
A mentor or coach who's recently been where you are now in your FGCU career can help you find resources critical to academic success, stay on the path to your degree and enrich your campus experience.
Peer Academic Leaders: SLS 1501 - Effective Learning course
Peer Academic Leaders are assigned to each section of SLS 1501. The mentees in the course are First Time In College (FTIC) students who have an academic hold following the fall semester.
The Peer Academic Leader Program is:
- To aid students in their own personal and academic success
- To integrate students in the social and educational FGCU community
- To engage students in academic activities to improve college performance
As a result of having a Peer Academic Leader, students will be able to:
- Develop an interpersonal relationship with an upper level student
- Formulate new academic strategies and skills to increase involvement in learning
- Utilize curricular and co-curricular campus resources to form a FGCU support network
- Evaluate academic obstacles to take responsibility for personal development and growth
As a result of serving as a Peer Academic Leader, students will be able to:
- Develop cooperative relationships with peers, faculty, and staff
- Recognize their ability to play an active role in the learning process of others
- Employ academic strategies and mentor skills to their personal and professional aspirations
- Identify appropriate campus resources and opportunities that contribute to their educational experience
The mission of the Center for Academic Achievement (CAA) Peer Academic Leader (PAL) Program is to enrich the academic performance of students at Florida Gulf Coast University by connecting an upper class student to a first year mentee group. Peer Academic Leaders serve as a mentor, support, and coach to optimize student self-awareness, academic involvement, and knowledge of campus resources in and beyond the classroom.
Our vision is that every FGCU student will achieve his/her fullest academic potential to attain academic excellence and lifelong learning.
A CAA PAL is a student mentor who enriches the academic performance of mentees in and beyond the classroom. As a mentor the PAL will facilitate the development of mentees' self-awareness as a means of both personal and academic success. The PAL is trained to provide guidance, structure, and accountability for mentee students.
The Center for Academic Achievement will select a group of undergraduate leaders to serve as mentors for the spring semester. The selected PALs will be assigned to an SLS 1501 - Effective Learning course to enrich the academic performance of mentees in and beyond the classroom. As a mentor the PAL will facilitate the development of mentees' self-awareness as a means of both personal and academic success. The PAL is trained to provide guidance, resources, structure, and accountability for mentee students.
Questions or concerns regarding the PAL position or selection process should be directed
to the Center for Academic Achievement
Contact Information: firstname.lastname@example.org