Employment Options for F-1 and J-1 students

Most international students that hold an F1 or J1 visa are allowed to work in the United States, but only under certain conditions and in accordance with complex guidelines and restrictions issued by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS). Generally, all employment is contingent on remaining within the terms and restrictions of your F1 visa. There are several categories of employment during the term of your stay as an F1 student in the United States. On-campus employment is the most freely available, and then there are four categories of off-campus employment.


Types of Employment

Social Security & Tax Information

  • Steps for obtaining a Social Security Number (SSN) for Employment:

  • Items you will need to take to your Social Security Appointment

  • Social Security Administration Office and Directions

  • Other Helpful Social Security Resources


Background Image

We’re here to answer your questions.

Reed Hall 122, Global Engagement Office 

10501 FGCU Boulevard South
Fort Myers, Florida 33965