Thank you for your interest in hosting a visiting research scholar/specialist/lecturer in your department. To best suport you in this process, our Office of Global Engagement needs to collect all the following necessary documents, divided into two parts: The Host and the Prospective Scholar documents packet.
- Exchange visitor request form to request FGCU Global Engagement Office to issue a DS-2019 form. Please fill out the form, bearing signatures from you, the hosting supervisor, and the FGCU Department Chair (or Dean) must sign in ink, on the last page.
- Complete the Deemed Export Compliance Form.
- Complete Exchange Visitor Profile
- Provide Financial Support document/Statement, in U.S. Dollars, to be accompanied by a bank statement (verifying the evidence of funds available, if financial support comes from an outside FGCU source).
- Complete J-1 Insurance Notification Form: All scholars must maintain medical/health insurance coverage for the duration of their program.
- Complete Sickness and Accident Insurance Verification Form. If wishing to utilize an alternative insurance plan. Please contact the FGCU Global Engagement Office Tgjini@fgcu.edu for further guidance on available alternative medical insurance plans.
- Provide their CV or Resume Copy.
- Photocopy of your current Passport Biographic page. Please indicate if a dependent (spouse or child) will be joining the scholar in their program to the United States.
* IF THE PROSPECTIVE SCHOLAR HAS PREVIOUSLY PARTICIPATED IN A J-1 SCHOLAR PROGRAM IN THE U.S. AND HAS A 212(E) TWO YEAR HOME RESIDENCY RULE PLACED ON THE ANNOTATED SECTION OF THE J-1 VISA, IT IS IMPORTANT THAT THE PROSPECTIVE SCHOLAR APPLIES FOR AND RECEIVES A 'No-objection' WAIVER OR RESIDES IN HOME-COUNTRY FOR TWO YEARS, BEFORE ELIGIBLE TO APPLY TO ANOTHER J-1 EXCHANGE VISITOR PROGRAM.
NOTE: All scholars must maintain medical/health insurance coverage for the duration of their program. Prospective Scholars must sign and send the J-1 Insurance Notification Form (See the attached document titled: Insurance Notification Form). If the scholar has insurance in their home country and wishes to utilize that plan during their stay at FGCU, they may ask her insurance company agent to fill out the attached Sickness and Accident Insurance Verification Document and send it to our office of International Studies before the program start. Should her current health insurance be deemed to meet the criteria in the Compliance Form (Sickness and Accident Insurance Verification Form), they will not be required to purchase the FGCU Health Insurance Plan through Gallagher Insurance Company. If the Scholar does not wish to utilize another alternative health insurance plan, they will be enrolled in the FGCU International Scholar Health Insurance Plan through Gallagher Insurance Plan at Student Health And special Risk's Website.
All the above documents need to be submitted to Timothy Gjini at the Global Engagement Office a minimum of 45-60 days before the scholar’s planned program start date. Upon successfully submitting all the required paperwork, the FGCU Global Engagement Office will work with the Office of Research and Sponsored Programs on the Deemed Export Control Review, Legal Counsel’s office, and other stakeholders to process these documents before the scholar visa documentation can be issued.