Academic Year 2018-2019
Check out what we have improved here at FGCU in the past year.
- 200+ obsolete computers replaced in HOLMES HALL classrooms and labs.
- New iMacs installed in our student MAC LAB (Reed Hall Room 256)
- New MacPros installed in our MAC CLASSROOM (Reed Hall Room 250)
- All computers in Eagle and Osprey classroom teaching podiums upgraded
- All teaching podium systems located in HOLMES HALL classrooms upgraded with digital controls and high definition projection
- Expanded integration of “Bring Your Own Device" (BYOD) technology into HOLMES HALL teaching podium systems, allowing faculty to use their own personal computing device wirelessly with classroom presentation systems.
- “Grand Opening” of the Lutgert College of Business Supply Chain Management collaborative classroom located in Lutgert Hall Room 1203. Equipped with “SMART” projection, multi-point lecture capture technology, high definition multi-screen video and collaborative learning seating - this room will truly be state of the art in academic technology.
- Lutgert Hall 1206 renovated as a computer classroom with seating for 60 students
- Expanded deployment of Kaltura video capture and storage technology. Kaltura is a critical tool in the delivery of a variety of teaching and learning methodologies including online learning, supplemental instruction and “flipped” classrooms. Look for new “Night at the Lucas Center” workshops to accommodate our evening and adjunct faculty.
- New and improved equipment for loan. Stop by Reed Hall Room 117 to request a loan of any of our new laptops, webcams, microphones and other state of the art technology or reserve your equipment for your academic or special event online at: https://www.fgcu.edu/aets/events.aspx
Technology for Student Success
- Lecture capture technology has been expanded to all HOLMES HALL classrooms! Faculty teaching in this building will now be able to use this technology to “flip” their classroom methodology, initialize dialogs with guest speakers from remote sites and/or provide supplemental instruction to their students in the form of on-line class lectures, presentations and discussions that will serve to reinforce in-class learning.
- Roll-out of newCanvas tools including:
- the Fastrack v.2 System for faculty, advisors and/or other FGCU service providers allowing for alerts when a student appears to be at risk of not meeting educational goals.
- TopHat - an additional “bring your own device” (BYOD) classroom response system – accessible within Canvas - that makes use of students’ personal mobile devices (phones, tablets, laptops) as response devices. Learn more about TopHat at: https://tophat.com/classroom/
And Coming in the Spring of 2019... More Classrooms!!!
The fourth floor of the FGCU Library is currently being renovated to accommodate:
- THREE new classrooms with state of the art teaching podiums, projection, sound and Lecture Capture technology
- A 10-seat Digital Media Arts Lab with iMacs and color printing available to students