The real world experience, application of skills, networks, and professional development gained through internships provide an important segue for our students from their academic training to future careers. Students enrolled in SYA 4949 Sociology Internship have been very successful in this facet and sometimes have continued careers with the respective agency partners long after completion of internship.
Our students are paired with a number of local community and state agencies as a part of this process to apply the skills and knowledge learned in the discipline and garner new skills, contacts, experience, and knowledge of the professional workplace. Both public and private sector agencies partner with our program.
Students in sociology internships typically learn:
- How quantitative and qualitative research methods and reasoning apply to industry specific content
- Data collection and the importance of data driven decision making
- Grant proposal and writing skills as necessary to business success
- Program evaluation and development
- Professional writing and presentation
- The importance of understanding diverse populations in today’s global workforce
- Teamwork and collaboration with colleagues
- Professional workplace expectations regarding social skills, development, and communication across mediums.
Some of the agencies our students have partnered with recently include: