The Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Marketing prepares students for careers in marketing by developing their understanding of the social and economic forces at work in national and global markets. The marketing major focuses on enhancing the knowledge and skills that enable managers to develop and maintain successful relationships with consumers and organizational customers through the planning, implementation, and control of marketing activities. The program emphasizes the use of analytical and environmental analyses to engage in strategic market planning, market segmentation, and competitive positioning. The program also covers the strategic implications of consumer behavior, product development and branding, promotion, pricing, and distribution channels.
Degree-seeking students are classified as pre-majors prior to formal transition into a Lutgert College of Business (LCOB) major. As pre-majors, students may enroll in lower division (1000-2999 level) courses to satisfy general education and common prerequisite requirements; lower level electives; and business common core courses, except GEB 4890, if course prerequisites are met. Pre-majors may not enroll in upper division (3000-4999 level) courses for the major.
Transition from a LCOB pre-major to a major happens following (a) completion of all common prerequisites with a minimum grade of C or higher in each course; and (b) completion of 50 earned credits with a minimum FGCU GPA of 2.0.
For timely degree completion, FTIC (First Time in College) students are expected to complete the following:
- MAC 1105 with minimum grade of B (or relevant accelerated credit or placement exam), ECO 2023 or ECO 2013 with minimum grade of C, one additional common prerequisite, and an overall 2.4 FGCU GPA within one calendar year from admission
- Four common prerequisites by the end of the third semester (excluding summer) from admission
- Seven common prerequisites and an overall 2.7 FGCU GPA by the end of the fourth semester (excluding summer) from admission
- MAR 3023 with minimum grade of C by the end of the fifth semester (excluding summer) from admission
- FIN 3403 with minimum grade of C by the end of the sixth semester (excluding summer) from admission
For timely degree completion, transfer students are expected to complete the following:
- Seven common prerequisites and an overall 2.7 FGCU GPA by the end of the third semester (excluding summer) from admission
- MAR 3023 with minimum grade of C by the end of the fourth semester (excluding summer) from admission
- FIN 3403 with minimum grade of C by the end of the fifth semester (excluding summer) from admission
Students should refer to the Curriculum Map for milestone information. Curriculum maps for each major can be found at https://www.fgcu.edu/cob/.
In addition to the program requirements, students must:
- Earn a grade of C or higher in the common prerequisites, business common core, required courses in the major, and restricted electives/concentration.
- Complete a minimum of 120 credits.
- Complete a minimum of 48 of the 120 credits at the upper division (3000-4999 level).
- Complete the last 30 credits of business courses at FGCU.
- Complete a minimum of 12 credits of courses in the major at FGCU.
- Earn a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 for all coursework attempted at FGCU.
- Satisfy the College-Level Skills and foreign language entrance requirements.
- Satisfy the Service Learning requirement. See: https://www.fgcu.edu/studentlife/servicelearning/.
- Satisfy the Civic Literacy requirement.
- Complete the standardized business knowledge assessment exam administered during the last semester in GEB 4890 Business Strategy.
- Complete the summer course enrollment requirement.
- Submit an Application for Graduation by the deadline listed in the FGCU Academic Calendar.
- FGCU General Education Program (https://www.fgcu.edu/academics/undergraduatestudies/generaleducation/)
To prevent or minimize excess hours, select general education courses that satisfy common prerequisite requirements for your intended major.
- Common Prerequisites
For this major, common prerequisite courses with an asterisk (*) require prior knowledge and skills demonstrated through degree acceleration programs (e.eg, the College Board's Advanced Placement Program [AP], International Baccalaureate Program [IB], College-Level Examination Program [CLEP], Advanced International Certificate of Education Program [AICE]); dual enrollment; placement exam; or college coursework.
FGCU Course: ACG 2021 Intro to Financial Accounting (3) Minimum grade of C
Acceptable Substitute: ACGX021 or ACGX022 or (ACGX001 and ACGX011)
FGCU Course: ACG 2071 Intro to Managerial Accounting (3) Minimum grade of C
Acceptable Substitute: ACGX071 or ACGX301
FGCU Course: CGS 1100 Computer Software & Technology (3) Minimum grade of C
Acceptable Substitute: CGSX100 or CGSX100C or CGSX570 or CGSX060 or CGSX531 or CGSX000 or ISMX000 or CGSX518
FGCU Course: ECO 2013 Princ of Macro Economics (3) Minimum grade of C
Acceptable Substitute: ECOX013
FGCU Course: ECO 2023 Princ of Micro Economics (3) Minimum grade of C
Acceptable Substitute: ECOX023
FGCU Course: *MAC 2233 Elementary Calculus (3) Minimum grade of C
Acceptable Substitute: MACX233
[Prerequisites of MAT 1033 minimum grade of C then MAC 1105 minimum grade of B; or relevant accelerated credit; or placement exam]
FGCU Course: STA 2023 Statistical Methods (3) Minimum grade of C
Acceptable Substitute: STAX023 or STAX122 or QMBX100
- Business Common Core (27 credits)
BUL 3130 Legal & Ethical Enviro of Bus (3)
ENC 3250 Professional Writing (3) or GEB 3523 Critical Think&Writing for Bus (3)
FIN 3403 Business Finance (3)
GEB 4890 Business Strategy (capstone) (3)
ISM 3011 Information Systems (3)
MAN 3025 Principles of Management (3)
MAR 3023 Introduction to Marketing (3)
SCM 3005 Supply Chain Management (3)
SPC 2023 Public Speaking (3) or GEB 3085 Professional Development (3)
- Required Courses in the Major (18 credits)
MAR 3400 Professional Selling (3)
MAR 3503 Consumer Behavior (3)
MAR 4613 Market Research (3)
MAR 4804 Marketing Strategy (3)
MAR 4841 Services Marketing (3)
MAR 4832 Product & Brand Management (3)
- Restricted Electives in the Major/Concentration (9 credits)
Select one of the following groupings:
Digital Marketing Strategy Concentration
MAR 3235 Social Media Marketing (3)
MAR 4674 Marketing Analytics (3)
MAR 4700 Digital Marketing (3)
Business Development and Sales Concentration
MAR 4403 Sales Force Management (3)
MAR 4415 Advanced Professional Selling (3)
MAR 4860 Customer Relationship Mngmt. (3)
No concentration noted on transcript
Select 9 credits of upper division (3000-4999 level) in marketing (MAR) or advertising (ADV) courses
- University Requirements (3 credits)
IDS 3920 University Colloquium (3)
- Additional Electives - as needed to reach total credits required for the degree