The Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) in Integrated Studies allows students to create individually-developed courses of study. This program is ideal for students with a clear idea for a career path that requires coursework from a variety of disciplines. The degree encourages students to develop a better understanding of the interrelationships among diverse ideas and academic subjects. The major also offers students courses that do not fall under a traditional academic Department. While providing flexibility in meeting individual student interests and learning goals, the Integrated Studies program blends existing and new experiences, information, and perspectives into the learner's total understanding of their world.
- Attend an orientation session.
- Sign an Advising Agreement document.
- Have completed a minimum 30 credits prior to declaring this major.
- Students may not pursue this major as Dual Major / Dual Degree or Second Baccalaureate degree.
- Only one minor can be declared with this major.
- The Interdisciplinary Studies Minor cannot be declared with this major.
- The same course cannot be used for this major and any other minor that the student might declare.
In addition to the program requirements, students must:
- Complete a minimum of 120 credits.
- Complete a minimum of 48 of the 120 credits at the upper division (3000-4999 level).
- Earn a cumulative GPA of 2.0 for all coursework attempted at FGCU.
- Satisfy the College-Level Skills and foreign language entrance requirements.
- Satisfy the Service Learning requirement. See: https://www.fgcu.edu/studentlife/servicelearning/.
- Satisfy the Civic Literacy requirement.
- Satisfy the residency requirement: 30 of the last 60 credits must be completed at FGCU.
- Complete of the summer course enrollment requirement.
- Submit an Application for Graduation by the deadline listed in the FGCU Academic Calendar.
- FGCU General Education Program (https://www.fgcu.edu/academics/undergraduatestudies/generaleducation/)
To prevent or minimize excess hours, select general education courses that satisfy common prerequisite requirements for your intended major.
- Common Prerequisites
- Required Courses in the Major (6 credits)
A minimum grade of C is required in each course
IDS 3300 Foundations of Civic-Engagement (3)
IDS 4910 Integrated Studies Senior Sem. (3)
- Restricted Electives in the Major (21 credits)
A minimum grade of C is required in each course
Select 3 credits from the following:
IDS 3302 Issues in Politics & Economics (3)
IDS 3304 Issues in Ecology & Environ (3)
IDS 3305 Issues in Media, Lit. & Arts (3)
IDS 3143 Issues in Science & Technology (3)
IDS 3332 Issues in Culture & Society (3)
Select 18 credits from at least three different discipline categories. Discipline categories and course prefixes associated with each category are listed below. Courses used to satisfy general education requirements cannot be used to satisfy the 18 credits of disciplinary courses. Courses with the IDS prefix used to fulfill a prior category cannot be used to fulfill this category.
African Studies: AFS
American and African-American Studies: AFA, AMS
Art: ARH, ART
Asian Studies: ASN
Biological Science: BOT, BSC, MCB, PCB, ZOO
Business (maximum of 9 credits from this category): ACG, BUL, TAX, ISM, CGS, ECO, ECP, ECS, FIN, GEB, MAN, ADV, MAR, SPM, ENT
Chemistry: CHM, CHS
Civil/Environmental Engineering: CCE, CEG, CES, CGN, CWR, EES, ENV, TTE
Computer Science: CAP, CDA, CEN, CGS, CIS, CNT, COP, IDC
Criminal Justice: CCJ, CJC, CJD, CJE, CJJ, CJL, CJT, DSC
Education: EDE, EDF, EDG, EDM, EEC, EME, ESE, SCE, SSE
Engineering, General: EGN, EGS
English Language and Literature: AML, CRW, ENC, ENG, ENL, LIT
Environmental Studies: EVR, EVS
Foreign Language-American Sign Language: ASL, INT
Foreign Language-French: FRE, FRT, FRW
Foreign Language-German: GER
Foreign Language-Spanish: SPN, SPT, SPW
Geography: GEA, GEO, GIS
Geology: ESC, GLY
Graphic Arts: GRA
Health Science, Gerontology, Interdisciplinary Health Science: GEY, HSA, HSC, IHS
History: AFH, AMH, ASH, EUH, HIS, LAH, WOH
Interdisciplinary Social Sciences: ISS
Interdisciplinary Studies and Honors: CST, GLS, IDH, IDS
International and Comparative Policy Studies: CPS, INS
Latin American Studies: LAS
Mass Communication: ADV, FIL, JOU, MMC, PUR, RTV, VIC
Mathematics: MAA, MAC, MAD, MAP, MAS, MAT, MGF, MHF, MTG
Music: MUC, MUE, MUG, MUH, MUL, MUN, MUO, MUS, MUT, MUY, MVB, MVK, MVP, MUS, MVV, MVW
Philosophy: PHH, PHI, PHM, PHP
Physics: AST, PHY, PHZ, PSC
Political Science: CPO, INR, POS, POT, PUP
Psychology: CBH, CLP, CYP, DEP, EAB, EXP, INP, PCO, PPE, PSB, PSY, SOP
Religion: REL, RLG
Social Work: SOW
Sociology: DEM, SYA, SYD, SYG, SYO, SYP
Speech Communication: SPC
Theatre Arts: THE, TPA, TPP
Women’s Studies: WST
- University Requirements (3 credits)
IDS 3920 University Colloquium (3)
- Additional Electives – as needed to reach total credits required for the degree.