The B.S. in Analytics and Informatics prepares students for careers in industry, consulting, nonprofit, government, and other sectors. Recent decades have seen an exponential growth in the volume and types of data available, and analytics professionals are needed to process and understand these data so organizations can improve operations, marketing, profitability, and service. Sometimes called big data, data mining, knowledge discovery, business intelligence, data science, and business analytics, the Data Analytics field is essential in modern organizations. The program focuses on data extraction and preparation, data warehousing, an array of analytics techniques, visualization, ethics and sustainability, and strategy.
Degree-seeking students are classified as pre-majors prior to formal transition into a LCOB major. As pre-majors, students may enroll in lower level (1000-2999) courses to satisfy general education and common prerequisite requirements; lower level electives; and business common core courses, except GEB 4890, if course prerequisites are met. Pre-majors may not enroll in upper level (3000-4999) courses for the major.
Transition from a LCOB pre-major to a major happens following (a) completion of all common prerequisites with a minimum grade of C or higher in each course; and (b) completion of 50 earned hours of courses with a minimum FGCU GPA of 2.0.
For timely degree completion, FTIC (First Time in College) students are expected to complete the following:
- MAC 1105 with a minimum grade of B (or relevant accelerated credit or placement exam), ECO 2023 or ECO 2013 with minimum grade of C, one additional common prerequisite, and an overall 2.4 FGCU GPA within one calendar year from admission.
- Four common prerequisites by the end of the third semester (excluding summer) from admission
- Seven common prerequisites and an overall 2.7 FGCU GPA by the end of the fourth semester (excluding summer) from admission
- FIN 3403 with minimum grade of C by the end of the sixth semester (excluding summer) from admission
For timely degree completion, transfer students are expected to complete the following:
- Seven common prerequisites and an overall 2.7 FGCU GPA by the end of the third semester (excluding summer) from admission
- FIN 3403 with minimum grade of C by the end of the fifth semester (excluding summer) from admission
Students should refer to the Curriculum Map for milestone information. Curriculum maps for each major can be found at https://www.fgcu.edu/cob/.
In addition to the program requirements, students must:
- Earn a grade of C or higher in the common prerequisites, business common core, required courses in the major, and restricted electives/concentration.
- Complete a minimum of 120 credits with at least 48 hours at the upper division (3-4000 level).
- Complete the last 30 credits of business courses at FGCU.
- Complete a minimum of 12 credits of courses in the major at FGCU.
- Earn a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 for all coursework attempted at FGCU.
- Satisfy college-level skills and foreign language entrance requirements.
- Satisfy service learning requirement see https://www.fgcu.edu/studentlife/servicelearning/.
- Complete the standardized business knowledge assessment exam administered during the last semester in GEB 4890 Business Strategy.
- Satisfy civic literacy requirement.
- FGCU General Education Program (https://www.fgcu.edu/academics/undergraduatestudies/generaleducation/)
To prevent or minimize excess hours, select general education courses that satisfy common prerequisite requirements for your intended major.
- Common Prerequisites
Some common prerequisite courses require prior knowledge and skills demonstrated through degree acceleration programs (e.g., the College Board's Advanced Placement Program [AP], International Baccalaureate Program [IB], College-Level Examination Program [CLEP], Advanced International Certificate of Education Program [AICE]); dual enrollment; placement exam; or college coursework.
FGCU Course: ACG 2021 Intro to Financial Acctg. (3) Minimum grade of C
Acceptable Substitute: ACGX021 or ACGX022 or (ACGX001 and ACGX011)
FGCU Course: ACG 2071 Intro to Managerial Acctg.(3) Minimum grade of C
Acceptable Substitute: ACGX071 or ACGX301
FGCU Course: CGS 1100 Computer Software and Technology (3) Minimum grade of C
Acceptable Substitute: CGSX100 or CGSX100C or CGSX530 or CGSX570 or CGSX060 or CGSX531 or CGSX000 or ISMX000 or CGSX518
FGCU Course: ECO 2013 Principles of Macro Economics (3) Minimum grade of C
Acceptable Substitute: ECOX013
FGCU Course: ECO 2023 Principles of Micro Economics (3) Minimum grade of C
Acceptable Substitute: ECOX023
FGCU Course: MAC 2233 Elementary Calculus (3) Minimum grade of C
Acceptable Substitute: MACX233 or MACX230 or MACX311
[Prerequisites of MAT 1033 minimum grade of C then MAC 1105 minimum grade of B; or relevant accelerated credit; or placement exam]
FGCU Course: STA 2023 Statistical Methods (3) Minimum grade of C
Acceptable Substitute: STAX023 or STAX122 or QMBX100
- Business Common Core (27 credits)
BUL 3130 Legal & Ethical Enviro of Bus (3)
ENC 3250 Professional Writing (3) or GEB 3523 Critical Think &Writing for Bus (3)
FIN 3403 Business Finance (3)
GEB 4890 Business Strategy (capstone) (3)
ISM 3011 Information Systems (3)
MAN 3025 Principles of Management (3)
MAR 3023 Introduction to Marketing (3)
SCM 3005 Supply Chain Management (3)
SPC 2023 Public Speaking (3) or GEB 3085 Professional Development (3)
- Required Courses in the Major (15 credits)
CAP 3786 Introduction to Data Mgmt (3)
CAP 3793 Advanced Data Management (3)
CGS 3102 Data Analysis Spreadsheets (3)
CGS 3126 Tools for Data Analytics (3)
QMB 3302 Business Analytics (3)
- Concentrations (12 Credits)
Select one of the following concentrations
Health Informatics Concentration
HIM 3218 Analysis of Healthcare Data (3)
HSA 4191 Healthcare Information Systems (3)
HSC 3537 Medical Terminology (3)
PHC 4069 Biostatistics in Society (3)
Data Analytics Concentration
CAP 4744 Data Visualization (3)
CAP 4763 Predictive Analytics (3)
ISM 4332 Project Management (3)
QMB 4600 Prescriptive Analytics (3)
- University Requirements (3 credits)
IDS 3920 University Colloquium (3)
- Additional Electives - as needed to reach total credits required for the degree