The Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Health Science program is an interdisciplinary program designed to provide career advancement opportunities for entry level health profession practitioners as well as individuals that seek future careers in health care. The program is also recommended for students who are interested in a health profession at the post-baccalaureate level, such as Health Services Administration, Physical Therapy, Physician Assistant Studies and Occupational Therapy. All of the upper division (3000-4999 level) coursework for this program is available by web-based distance learning.
Students majoring in Health Science (B.S.) may not pursue the Health Administration (B.S.) as Dual Major/Dual Degree or Second Baccalaureate degree.
For timely degree completion, students must complete appropriate milestones. Failure to meet milestone requirements may result in required major reselection. Refer to the Health Science Student Guidebook for further information on progression standards.
In addition to the program requirements, students must:
- Complete a minimum of 120 credits.
- Complete a minimum of 48 of the 120 credits in the upper division (3000-4999 level).
- Earn a cumulative GPA of 2.0 for all coursework attempted at FGCU.
- Earn a minimum grade of C for all Health Science major and restricted elective courses. A grade of C minus (C-) is considered less than a C.
- Complete all program requirements.
- Satisfy the residency requirement: 30 of the last 60 credits must be completed at FGCU.
- Satisfy the College-Level Skills and foreign language entrance requirements.
- Satisfy the Service Learning requirement. See: https://www.fgcu.edu/studentlife/servicelearning/
- Satisfy the Civic Literacy requirement.
- Complete the summer course enrollment requirement.
- Submit an application for graduation by the deadline listed in the FGCU Academic Calendar.
To prevent or minimize excess hours, select general education courses that satisfy common prerequisite requirements for your intended major.
- FGCU General Education Program (https://www.fgcu.edu/academics/undergraduatestudies/generaleducation/)
- Common Prerequisites
- Required Courses in the Major (30 credits)
HSA 3150 Health Care Policy in US (3)
HSA 3111 US Health Care Systems (3)
HSA 4191 Health Care Info Systems (3)
HSC 3202 Introduction to Public Health (3)
HSC 3537 Medical Terminology (3)
HSC 4500 Epidemiology (3)
IHS 3111 Legal and Ethical Principles (3)
IHS 3203 Mgmt. & Leadership in Hlthcare (3)
IHS 4504 Research Methods in HealthCare (3)
IHS 4938 Senior Seminar (3)
- Restricted Electives in the Major (15 credits)
Complete five from the following:
GEY 3001 Introduction to Gerontology (3)
GEY 3601 Aging and Human Performance (3)
HSA 3013 Mgmt for Non-profit Agencies (3)
HSA 3124 Comparative Hlth Srv Del Sys (3)
HSA 3412 Transcultural Health Care (3)
HSA 4416 Social Dimensions & Issues HC (3)
HSC 3133 Health and Human Sexuality (3)
HSC 3161 Genetics for Health Sciences (3)
HSC 3201 Healthy Communities (3)
HSC 3243 Teach & Learn in Health Profs (3)
HSC 3624 Global Health Systems & Issues (3)
HSC 3720 Health Persp & Assessment (3)
HSC 4150 Impacts of Substance Abuse (3)
HSC 4555 Disease, Impairment & Function (3)
IHS 3400 Medical Device Industry (3)
OTH 3417C Musculoskeletal Anatomy (3)
OTH 3429C Neuroanatomy & Function (3)
- University Requirements (3 credits)
IDS 3920 University Colloquium (3)
- Additional Electives - as needed to reach total credits required for the degree