Civic Literacy 2019-2020 Catalog Year
Florida Board of Governors Regulation 8.006 Civic Literacy
Consistent with Florida Board of Governors Regulation 8.006, baccalaureate degree-seeking students initially entering a state university fall semester 2018 and thereafter must demonstrate competency in civic literacy. This requirement can be satisfied with one of the following mechanisms:
|Assessment or Notation||Minimum Score or Grade|
|U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services Naturalization Test-
Civics (U.S. history and government) with supplemental
|Advanced Placement Government and Politics: United States||3|
|Advanced Placement United States History||4|
|CLEP American Government||50|
|POS X041 American Government*||C|
|AMH X020 Introductory Survey Since 1877*||C|
|Official Transcript from a State University System or Florida College
System institution with notation of Civic Literacy Met
*Each of the courses must include the following competencies:
- Understanding of the basic principles and practices of American democracy and how they are applied in our republican form of government;
- An understanding of the United States Constitution and its application;
- Knowledge of the founding documents and how they have shaped the nature and functions of our institutions of self-government; and
- An understanding of landmark Supreme Court cases, landmark legislation and landmark executive action and their impact on law and society.
Frequently Asked Questions
Who is required to satisfy the Civic Literacy requirement?
The Civic Literacy requirement applies to undergraduate degree-seeking students who initially entered a public Florida institution (Florida College System (FCS) or State University System (SUS) institution) for the first time in Fall 2018 or later. SUS students must complete this requirement prior to graduating with a baccalaureate degree.
Who is exempt from the Civic Literacy Requirement?
- Students who initially entered a FCS or SUS institution prior to Fall 2018
- Students who completed an AA degree through Dual Enrollment at a FCS or SUS institution
What are the options to meet the Civic Literacy Requirement?
- Pass U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services Naturalization Test
- Earn AP credit for POS 2041
- Earn AP credit for AMH 2020
- Earn CLEP credit for POS 2041
- Earn credit for AMH 2020 in Fall 2018 or later
- Earn credit for POS 2041 in Fall 2018 or later
Are dual enrolled students who did not complete an AA degree but took dual enrolled courses prior to Fall 2018 exempt from the civic literacy requirement?
No. Courses taken prior to Fall 2018 did not include the competencies required by statute and regulation.
How will the civic literacy requirement display in the FGCU academic transcript?
FGCU academic transcripts will display the comment “Civic Literacy Requirement Decision” with an indicator of Y, N, or Z based on the student’s official academic record at the time of transcript processing. The following represents the FGCU transcript legend for civic literacy requirement.
- Z Exempt
- Y Fulfilled
- N Not Fulfilled