Civic Literacy 2021-2022 Catalog Year
*Legislation effective July 1, 2021, modified the Civic Literacy requirements for students entering the University for the first time in the 2021-22 academic year to include a civic literacy course and pass an assessment. The amended BOG Regulation will be forthcoming, at which time information regarding Civic Literacy requirements for students entering the University in the 2021-2022 academic year will be added to this web page.
Consistent with Florida Board of Governors Regulation 8.006, baccalaureate degree-seeking students initially entering a state university fall semester 2018 and thereafter must demonstrate competency in civic literacy. This requirement must be satisfied with one of the following mechanisms:
|Assessment or Notation||Minimum Score or Grade|
|U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services Naturalization Test-
Civics (U.S. history and government) with supplemental
questions - Civic Literacy Exam
|Advanced Placement Government and Politics: United States||3|
|Advanced Placement United States History||4|
|CLEP American Government||50|
|POS X041 American Government*||C|
|AMH X020 Introductory Survey Since 1877*||C|
|Official Transcript from a State University System or Florida College
System institution with notation of Civic Literacy met
*Each of the courses must include the following competencies:
- Understanding of the basic principles and practices of American democracy and how they are applied in our republican form of government;
- An understanding of the United States Constitution and its application;
- Knowledge of the founding documents and how they have shaped the nature and functions of our institutions of self-government; and
- An understanding of landmark Supreme Court cases, landmark legislation and landmark executive action and their impact on law and society.
Frequently Asked Questions
Who is required to satisfy the Civic Literacy requirement?
The Civic Literacy requirement applies to undergraduate degree-seeking students who initially entered a public Florida institution (Florida College System (FCS) or State University System (SUS) institution) for the first time in Fall 2018 or later. SUS students must complete this requirement prior to graduating with a baccalaureate degree.
Who is exempt from the Civic Literacy requirement?
- Students who initially entered an FCS or SUS institution prior to Fall 2018.
- Students who completed an AA degree through Dual Enrollment at an FCS or SUS institution prior to Fall 2018.
What are the options to meet the Civic Literacy requirement at FGCU?
Complete one of the following:
- Pass U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services Naturalization Test with supplemental questions. At FGCU, this test is called the Civic Literacy Exam.
- Earn AP credit for POS 2041.
- Earn AP credit for AMH 2020.
- Earn CLEP credit for POS 2041.
- Earn credit for AMH 2020 in Fall 2018 or later.
- Earn credit for POS 2041 in Fall 2018 or later.
Courses from private and out of state institutions do not satisfy the Civic Literacy requirement and cannot be reviewed by the University to meet the Civic Literacy requirement.
Will students who previously took the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) Civics Test to become U.S. citizens be considered to have satisfied the Civic Literacy requirement?
No. Students who took the USCIS Civics Test to become U.S. citizens will not have met the Civic Literacy requirement. The requirements of the USCIS test differ from those of the Civic Literacy Exam.
Are dual enrolled students who did not complete an AA degree but took dual enrolled courses prior to Fall 2018 exempt from the Civic Literacy requirement?
No. Courses taken prior to Fall 2018 did not include the competencies required by statute and regulation.
Are students who completed an AA degree at an FCS or SUS institution considered as having satisfied the Civic Literacy requirement?
Only if Civic Literacy was part of the AA requirements.
How will the Civic Literacy requirement display in the FGCU academic transcript?
FGCU academic transcripts will display the comment “Civic Literacy Requirement Decision” with an indicator of Y, N, or Z based on the student’s official academic record at the time of transcript processing. The following represents the FGCU transcript legend for Civic Literacy requirement.
- Z Exempt
- Y Fulfilled
- N Not Fulfilled