News & Events
- Open debate: when should business come back?, May 2020
Highlights from the coronavirus economic impact study published by the Regional Economic Research Institute.
- New survey: Southwest Florida crushed by coronavirus, April 2020
Highlights from a recent survey published by the Regional Economic Research Institute.
- Consumer confidence rebounds in Florida, October 2019
Florida consumer sentiment rose 3.9 points in October 2019.
- Florida consumer sentiment tumbles in May, June 2019
Florida consumer sentiment fell 5.3 points in May 2019, its largest decline since May 2015.
- Cape Coral-Fort Myers metro area among fastest growing in the country, April 2019
The Cape Coral-Fort Myers MSA was the sixth fastest growing MSA in the nation, according to a recent Census study.
- Florida's jobless rate nudges up, but still historically low, March 2019
According to state figures released Friday, the Sunshine State’s unemployment rate increased for the first time in more than a decade.
- Employment outlook remains upbeat in Cape Coral, Fort Myers, March 2019
Highlights from a recent survey published by ManpowerGroup.
- Tourism up in Charlotte, down in Lee, February 2019
A press release from the Punta Gorda/Englewood Beach Visitor & Convention Bureau reports tourism is up in Charlotte County. The Naples Daily News reports that tourism is down in Lee County.
- Southwest Florida businesses pessimistic about region's economy, survey shows, February 2019
Highlights from the latest Lee County Business Climate Survey Report.
- First Quarter Small Business Index Survey shows Florida's small businesses feeling
uncertain, January 2019
Highlights from the Florida Chamber of Commerce's first quarter Small Business Index Survey
- What will Florida's next recession be like? January 2019
Thoughts from Mark Vitner (Wells Fargo) and Scott Brown (Raymond James Financial)
- FGCU quarterly economic report shows economy getting more diverse in Collier, Lee, January 2019
Highlights from the recently released Industry Diversification Report.
- 2019 Economic Outlook: Mostly Strong, December 2018
Southwest Florida experts forecast how our key business sectors will fare next year.
- One of the largest employers in SWFL sees sharp declines on Wall Street, December 2018
Chico’s FAS stock has had strong fluctuations recently.
- Industry Diversity, October 2017
The Fort-Myers Florida Weekly wrote a story about the latest FGCU IDI results for the first quarter of 2017, with commentary from various local leaders in the Southwest Florida community.
- Collier's workforce diverse, but issue complex, January 2017
The News-Press wrote a story about the industrial diversification for Collier County, and the outlook for the county as a result. The FGCU IDI is referenced multiple times in the article.
- For Sustainable Growth, State Needs to Diversify, January 2017
Dr. Christopher Westley, professor of economics at Florida Gulf Coast University and director of the Regional Economic Research Institute, wrote an article about the connection between economic growth and industry diversification. Dr. Westley references the FGCU IDI in the article.
- Jobs Galore, November 2016
The Business Observer, a weekly newspaper published for the Gulf Coast of Florida, published an article featuring highlights on a discussion with Dr. Jerry Parrish, the chief economist for the Florida Chamber Foundation. The FGCU IDI is among the various pieces of data cited by Dr. Parrish in the article.
- What’s the Headline? Jobs, Jobs, Jobs, October 2016
SRQ Magazine, a monthly magazine published for Sarasota, Manatee, and the Gulf Keys, published an article detailing an upcoming job fair for the local economy. The author, Mark Pritchett, spoke with Dr. Jerry Parrish, the chief economist for the Florida Chamber Foundation, about the lack of diversity in the Sarasota economy. The FGCU IDI was referenced by Dr. Parrish when speaking on the subject.
- Florida’s Bottom Line, Fall Edition 2016, Fall 2016
Florida’s Bottom Line is Chief Financial Officer Jeff Atwater’s quarterly economic magazine, providing the reader with the latest news and analysis for Florida’s economic and financial health. The FGCU IDI was mentioned in the Fall 2016 edition of Florida’s Bottom Line.
- No upcoming events.
September 17, 2020: 2020 Southwest Florida Educational and Workforce Outcomes Report issued.
September 15, 2020: 2020 Southwest Florida Economic Almanac Series released.
September 1, 2020: September 2020 Regional Economic Indicators Report issued.
May 15, 2020: Open debate: when should businesses come back?
April 7, 2020: New survey: Southwest Florida crushed by coronavirus
October 2, 2019: Consumer confidence rebounds in Florida