Cox, David (PhD)
Back to Profile List
EducationUniversity of Florida Department of Clinical and Health Psychology, Post Doctoral supervision in Neuropsychology.
University of Florida College of Medicine, Department of Neurology, Post Doctoral Fellowship in Behavioral Neuropsychology
Ph.D. Virginia Polytechnic & State University, 2008, Major: Clinical Neuropsychology
M.A. East Tennessee State University, 2001, Major: Clinical Psychology
B.A. Florida Gulf Coast University, 1999, Major: Psychology
SpecialtiesClinical Neuropsychology, Geriatric Psychology
Research and Teaching InterestsTeaching; Courses Offered; Human Neuropsychology, Neuropsychology of Aging, Psychological Tests & Measurement, Health Psychology, Physiological Psychology, Abnormal Psychology
Research Interests: Alzheimer's disease and dementia. Physiological correlates of emotion. Cognitive performance anger. Functional Cerebral Systems
- Cox, D.E., DeVore, B.B., Harrison, P.K., & Harrison D.W. (2017). The Effect of Anger Expression Style on Cardiovascular Responses to Lateralized Cognitive Stressors. Brain Informatics, 5, 1-9.
- Cox, D. E. & Heilman, K. M. (2010). Dynamic-Intentional thalamic aphasia: A failure of lexical semantic self-activation. Neurocase.2, 1-5.
- Jones, S. J., Greer, A., & Cox, D. E. (2011). Learning characteristics of the CERAD word list among an elderly veteran population. Applied Neuropsychology.
- Cox, D.E., & Harrison, D.W. (2007). Models of Anger: Contributions from psychophysiology, Neuropsychology and the Cognitive Behavioral Perspective. Brain Structure & Function, 212, 371-385.
- Cox, D. E. (2007). Anger, aggression, and psychology: Personal and professional reflections on the Virginia Tech tragedy. The Journal of Traumatology, 14, 60-64.
- Abdullah, L., Cox D.E., Crawford, F.C., Humphrey, J., Zolton, J., Richards, D., Crowell, T.A., and Mullan, M. (2008) Confirmation of Lowered Risk of Dementia and Mild Cognitive Impairment with Light-to-Moderate Alcohol Consumption. Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry & Neurology
- Luis, C. A., Crowell, T. A., Cox, D. E., & Mullan, M. (2006). Cognitive deficits and differential diagnosis: A comparison of Alzheimer's Dementia and Lewy Body Disease. Dementia and Geriatric Cognitive Disorders, 26, 120-126.
Conference PresentationsSelected Conference Presentations;
- A. K. Holland, J. Reynolds, A. Rosa, D. E. Cox, P. K. Harrison, D. W. Harrison. (2018) Evidence for Reduced Left Frontal Inhibitory Control in the Absorption Phase Relative to the Cephalic Phase of Food Intake. Presented at the International Neuropsychological 47th Annual Conference, Washington DC
- J. Reynolds, A. K. Holland, A. Rosa1, D. E. Cox, P. K. Harrison, D. W. Harrison (2018). Changes in Cerebral Laterality in the Cephalic and Absorption Phases of Food Ingestion as a Function of BMI Classification: Neurophysiological Evidence of Reduced Cognitive Control in Overweight Men. Presented at the International Neuropsychological 47th Annual Conference, Washington DC
- Cox, D.E. (2011). Neuroprotective lifestyle and successful aging. Educational program presented to the Southwest Florida SHARE Club, Cape Coral, Florida.
- Holland, A.K., Newton, S.E., Smith, A.S., Hinson, D. Carmona, J.E., Cox, D., & Harrison, D.W. (2011). Left lateralized cerebral activation as a function of food absorption and cognitive task demands: Examining changes in beta magnitude using a dual concurrent task paradigm. Poster presented at the International Neuropsychological Society 39th Annual Conference, Boston, MA
- Cox, D. E. (2010). Sensitivity and specificity of the MoCA and MMSE: Item analyses. Presented at the annual meeting of the International Neuropsychological Society, Boston, MA.
- Cox, D. E. (2010). BDNF, white matter, and TBI: Is aerobic exercise the pathway to rehabilitation? Presented at the Annual Veterans Administration Research Symposium, Gainesville, FL.
- Cox, D. E. (2009). A syndrome analysis approach to neuropsychological assessment of dementia. Job talk presented to the faculty of NOVA Southeastern University, Ft. Lauderdale, FL.
- Cox, D. E. (2009). Functional cerebral systems, behavioral neuropsychology, and emotions: Implications for assessment and treatment of psychopathology. Job talk presented to the faculty of Barry University, Miami Shores, FL.
- Cox, D. E. (2009). Integration of the Psychometric and Lurian approach to neuropsychological assessment in dementia. Job talk presented to the faculty of Argosy University, Tampa, FL.
- Cox, D. E., & Harrison, D. W. (2008). Anger expression styles and verbal fluency Performance: Evidence for a functional cerebral systems model of anger Poster presented at the annual National Academy of Neuropsychology, New York, NY
- Holland, A.K., Carmona, J.E., Cox, D.E., Johnson, B., & Harrison, D.W. (2008) A Functional Cerebral Systems Approach to Hostility: Changes in Design Fluency Performance as a Function of Exposure to Physiological Stress Poster presented at the annual National Academy of Neuropsychology, New York, NY
- Holland, A.K., Carmona, J.E., Cox, D.E., Brickman, S., & Harrison, D.W. (2008) Changes in Right Frontal Lobe Delta Activation as a Function of Hostility and Stress Poster presented at the annual National Academy of Neuropsychology, New York, NY.
- Cox, D.E. (2008). Cardiovascular reactivity and anger expression. Poster presented at the University of Baltimore Research Conference, Baltimore, MD.
- Cox, D.E. (2008). Patterns of frontal lobe activation during digestive processes. Poster presented at the University of Baltimore Research Conference, Baltimore, MD.
- Cox, D. E. (2007). Functional cerebral systems and anger: Why Stewie must kill Lois. Job Talk presented to the faculty of the University of Southern Indiana, Evansville, IN.
- Cox, D. E. (2007). Neuropsychological and psychophysiological correlates of anger expression styles. Paper presented at the 36th annual conference of the International Neuropsychology Society, Honolulu, HI.
- Cox, D. E., Holland, A. K., Valentino, S. E., Golkow, K., & Harrison, D. W. (2007). Cerebral Lateralization in Gustation: A Quantitative EEG Experiment. Poster presented at the 36th annual conference of the International Neuropsychology Society, Honolulu, HI.
- Cox, D. E., Carmona, J. E., Harrison, D. W., Golkow, K., Sucgang, J., & Johnson, B. (2007). Necker Cube Reversals As A Measure Of Figural Fluency: A Comparison With The Ruff Figural Fluency Test. Poster presented at the National Academy of Neuropsychology, Scottsdale, AZ.
- Carmona, J.E., Cox, D.E., Holland, A.K., Harrison, D.W., Mallory, T., Stratton, H. (2007) A preliminary examination of The Dementia Rating Scale-II in a College-age sample. Poster presented at the National Academy of Neuropsychology, Scottsdale, AZ.
- Holland, A.K., Carmona, J.E., Cox, D.E., Harrison, D.W., Belcher, T., & Wolfe, S. (2007). Time estimation differences in low and high hostile men: Behavioral and physiological correlates of right frontal regulation of an internal clock. Poster presented at the 47th Annual Meeting of the Society for Psychophysiological Research, Savannah, GA
- Carmona, J. E., Holland, A. K., Cox, D. E., & Harrison, D. W. (2007). The role of emotion in the forgotten sensory modality: Exploring anxiety and hostility contributions to the vestibular system. Oral presentation given at The College of William and Mary's 6th Annual Graduate Research Symposium. March 31, 2007. Williamsburg, Virginia.
- Holland, A. K., Mollet, G., Carmona, J. E., Cox, D. E., & Harrison, D. W. (2007). Lateralized differences in systolic blood pressure regulation and phoneme detection as a function of hostility level and stress. Oral Presentation given at The College of William and Mary's 6th Annual Graduate Research Symposium. March 31, 2007. Williamsburg, Virginia.
- Cox, D.E., Jones, S.J. & Greer, A. (2007). Learning characteristics of the CERAD word list in an elderly veteran population. Paper presented at the UMB-VAMHC Intern Research Conference, Baltimore, MD.
- Cox, D.E. (2006). Anger, hostility, and aggression: Distinct constructs or factors of a multidimensional construct? Paper presented at the 11th Family Violence and Sexual Assault Institute, San Diego, CA.
- Cox, D.E., Coplin, J., & Harrison, D.W. (2005). Emperical Evaluation of Wandering Among AD Patients. Poster presented at the 25th annual Conference of the National Academy of Neuropsychology; Tampa, FL.
Grants & Awards
Cox, D. E., Heilman, K. M., & Crosson, B. (2009). Effects of increased aerobic exercise on white matter connectivity and cognition in mTBI. Submitted to Veterans Administration Research and Development : Funded ($125,000.00)
- 2011-Present - Collier Neuroligic Specialists, LLC: Clinical Neuropsychologist
- 2011-Present - Naples Community Hospital: Clinical Neuropsychologist/Psychologist
- 2010-2011 - Lee Memorial Health System: Clinical Neuropsychologist
- 2009-2010 - University of Florida Neuropsychology Clinic: Postdoctoral supervisee. Clinical supervision was provided by Russell M. Bauer, Ph.D. ABBP-CN.
- 2008-2009 - Shands Hospital at the University of Florida - Malcolm Randall Veterans Administration Hospital: Post Doctoral Fellow in Behavioral Neuropsychology. Clinical supervision was provided by Kenneth M. Heilman, M.D.
- 2007-2008 - Veterans Administration, Maryland Health Care System, Baltimore, Maryland: Intern under the supervision of Scott N. Jones, Ph.D., William A. Canter, Ph.D., and David J. Pollin. Ph.D.