Carlson, Erik (PhD)
Back to Profile List
EducationPh.D., US military, US 20th century history, Texas Tech University, 1996
M.A., U.S. diplomatic history, Texas Tech University, 1989
B.A. History, Texas Tech University, 1986
Research and Teaching InterestsResearch interests: World War II, aeronautical, US 1900-1960, memory and commemoration
Teaching Interests: American military, US 1865-1960, diplomatic and public history
Courses OfferedAMH 2020: US History Since 1877
AMH 3201: The Gilded Age and Progressivism, 1877-1919
AMH 3252: Roaring '20s through the New Deal, 1920-1939
AMH 3254: US and World War II, 1937-45
AMH 3547: US Military History 1900-91
HIS 3065: Introduction to Public History
HIS 3570: Oral History
- "Two Kinds of Civilians: American Encounters with Civilians on Kerama Retto and Ie Shima and the End of the Pacific War," Civilians and Warfare, 2018.
- "War Refugee Board," The Holocaust: An Encyclopedia and Document Collection, 2017.
- "Liberators," The Holocaust: An Encyclopedia and Document Collection, 2017.
- "Clipped Wings: The Truman Administration and the First Attempt at a Bilateral Air Transport Agreement with Mexico, 1945-1947," Journal of the Florida Conference of Historians, Volume 23, June 2016.
- Coordinator, Special Collections Department, the History of Aviation Collection, McDermott Library, University of Texas at Dallas, 2000-2007
Public History Scholarship:
- Lead archivist, USS Mohawk Collection, IMAG History and Science Center, Fort Myers, Florida, 2018
- Lead archivist, Lee County Memorial Health Systems History Project, 2016
- Lead Oral Historian, Florida Gulf Coast University 20th Anniversary Oral History Project 2016
- Curator, “SWFL in World War II,” IMAG History and Science Center, Fort Myers, Florida, 2019
- Curator, “Lost B-26,” IMAG History and Science Center, Fort Myers, Florida, 2018