PhD in Program Evaluation and Measurement, OISE/University of Toronto
Master in Education, University of New Brunswick, NB, Canada / Master in Educational Administration, Tsinghua University, Beijing, China
Bachelor in Math, Beijing Normal University, Beijing
Assessment, evaluation, measurement, applied statistics, and research design
Research and Teaching InterestsToggle Research and Teaching Interests
- Research method (mixed methods research design & analysis, quantitative research method, advanced quantitative research method, data analysis in education, advanced qualitative analysis, survey research and design)
- Assessment, evaluation, and measurement (program evaluation, current issues educational assessment decision making ,foundation of measurement, classroom assessment & evaluation, measurement evaluation in classroom)
Courses OfferedToggle Courses Offered
- EDF7483 Mixed Methods Research Design & Analysis
- EDG6931 Advanced Qualitative Analysis
- EDF6481 Foundations of Educational Research
- EDF6461 Introduction Program Evaluation
- EDF6449 Surveys Research and Design
- EDF6432 Foundation of Measurement
- EDF6401 Data Analysis in Education
- EDF5443 Classroom Assessment & Evaluation
- EDF7980 Doctoral Dissertation
- EDF7416 Quantitative Analysis
- EDA7930 ST: Advanced Quantitative Analysis
- EDA7205 Applied Program Evaluation Education
- EDF7478 Advanced Qualitative Analysis
- EDF7943 Current Issues Educational Assessment Decision Making
- EDF7483 Mixed Methods Analysis
- EDF4470 Classroom Assessment
- EDF4424 Measurement Evaluation in Classroom
• Huck, C., Zhang, J., Garby, L., & Li, X. (2023). Development of an instrument to assess teacher perceptions of Social Emotional Learning (SEL) in PK-12 schools. Educational Research and Development Journal, 26(1),1-19.ISSN: 1526-8659.
• Li, X., Li, X. Song, M., & Zhang, J. (2023). Longitudinal reading outcome and cognitive load in individual- and collaboration-based environments. Interactive Learning Environments, https://doi.org/10.1080/10494820.2022.2163666.
• Li, X., Li, X. Song, M., & Zhang, J. (2022). Exploring online student engagement scaffolded by teacher management communication style. International Journal of Emerging Technologies in Learning, 17(15), 4-15. eISSN: 1863-0383. DOI: ttps://doi.org/10.3991/ijet.v17i15.31513 http://onlineengineering.org/dl/iJET/iJET_vol17_no15_2022.pdf
• Zhang, J., & Halpern, C.S. (2021). The experiences of a Chinese immigrant family with online learning during the COVID-19 pandemic. The 2021 Special Issue of Journal Educational Research & Development Journal, 24 (2), 57–72. ISSN: 1526-8659
• Huck, C., Zhang, J. (2021). Effects of the COVID-19 pandemic on K-12 education: A systematic literature review. Educational Research and Development Journal, 24(1), 53–84. ISSN: 1526-8659.
• Rasool, S. Zhang, J., Aydin, H., & Halpern, C.S., (2021). The impact of South Asian parental involvement behaviors on children’s academic achievement: Instrument development and exploratory factor analysist. Educational Research and Development Journal, 24(1), 21–52. ISSN: 1526-8659.
• Li, X., Li, X. Song, M., & Zhang, J. (2021.04). Longitudinal reading performance comparison and its variation with print mobile and social media tools. International Journal of Emerging Technologies in Learning, 16(13), 289-297.https://doi.org/10.3991/ijet.v16i13.21563
• Huang, M., Li, X., & Zhang, J. (2021). Examining individual demographic and school support factors regarding teachers’ intention to use technology: A hierarchical regression analysis. International Journal of Emerging Technologies in Learning, 16 (12), 289-297. https://doi.org/10.3991/ijet.v16i12.22625.
• Zhang, J., Jang, E. E & Chahine, S. (2021). A systematic review of cognitive diagnostic assessment and modeling through concept mapping. Frontiers of Contemporary Education, 2 (1), 41-55. DOI:https://doi.org/10.22158/fce.v2n1p41.
• Xu, Y., Wu, L., & Zhang, J., (2021). The study in the features and enlightenment of 21st century's ability from a global perspective/II. The Journal of The Research of Classroom Teaching in Primary and Middle Schools, 56(3), 1-4, 10.ISBN: 2096-1421
• Xu, Y., Wu, L., & Zhang, J., (2021). The study in the features and enlightenment of 21st century's ability from a global perspective/I. The Journal of The Research of Classroom Teaching in Primary and Middle Schools, 55(2), 10-18.ISBN: 2096-1421
• Levicky C., Stock, M., Zhang, J., & Weatherford, E (2021). Exploring the impact of Universal Design for Learning supports in an online higher education course, Journal of Applied Instructional Design. 10(1), 110–108. DOI:https://dx.doi.org/10.51869/101cltmcsjzew
• Lang, W.S., Wilkerson, J., Moore, L, & Zhang, J. (2020). Comparison of students in teacher education from China and
the US: An assessment of dispositions, International Journal of Learning, Teaching and Educational Research. 19(11), 109-126. https://doi.org/10.26803/ijlter.19.11.7
• Rasool, S., & Zhang, J. (2020). Bangladeshi, Indian, and Pakistani parents’ perceptions of their children’s academic achievement in Southwest Florida. American Journal of Qualitative Research, 4(3), 146-160. ISSN: 2576-214,https://doi.org/10.29333/ajqr/9337
• Farmer, J., & Zhang, J. (2020). Run, hide, and fight to save your life. Florida Journal of Educational Research, 58(7), 44–57. ISSN:2575-6109.
• Stork, M.G., Fessenden, T., & Zhang, J. (2020). Exploring augmented reality to support K-12 literacy: A case study, International Journal of Smart Technology and Learning. 2(Nos. 2/3), 115–135. DOI:10.1504/IJSMARTTL.2020.112119
• Long,T. , Zhang, J. , Ellis,J. Wang, X. (2019). “Wisdom of science, technology, and humanities”: The 23rd Global Chinese Conference on Computers in Education. Technology Trends, Springer, pp.1-4. DOI 10.1007/s11528-019-00434-x
• Wang, G., Li, J & Zhang, J. (2018). A study on the application of the p-value in educational empirical study: Problem, rethinking, and suggestions. Journal of Educational Science Research. 275 (2), pp.59-65. CN:11-4573/D
• Stork, M. G., Goode, H., Jeter, R., & Zhang, J., (2018). Embracing the power of digital in literacy education: evaluating the effectiveness of digital activities. The Journal of First Formative Design in Learning, pp. 1–20.https://doi.org/10.1007/s41686-018-0022-8.
• Wang, X., Chen, Z., Zhang, J. (2018). From “Innovation for Education” to “Education for Innovation”: The 22nd Global
Chinese Conference on Computers in Education. Technology Trends, Springer.pp.1-4.
• Lang, W.S., Parfitt, C.M., Greene, J., Kratt, D., Martelli, C.D., LaPaglia, K., Johnston, V., Gilbert, S., & Zhang, J.
(2018). Beliefs about teaching (BATS2)-Construction and validation of an instrument based on InTasc critical dispositions. International Journal of Learning, Teaching and Educational Research, 17(8), 56–77. https://doi.org/10.26803/ijlter.17.8.4.
Grants & AwardsToggle Grants & Awards• 2023 Student Success Champions Award, FGCU, FL.
• Wings for The Future Program Award ($30,000, Co-PI, May 2022), FGCU, FL.
• Scholarship Reconsidered Funding Grant ($1000*6), COE, FGCU, FL.
• Professional Development Fund Grant (PDFG, $2,000, May, 2022; $1800, April 2019), FGCU, FL.
• Innovative Assignment Design Grant ($1000*2, 500*2, $250*1), Undergraduate Office, FGCU, FL
• Award to Enhance Higher Education Pedagogy ($500*4, Feb. 2020,), Lucas Center, FGCU, FL.
• FGCU Scholarship-Research Venture Fund Awards (Co-PI, $23,000. March, 2019), FGCU, FL.
• Mini-Grant Award for STEM Education ($500, March, 2019), Whitaker Center, FGCU, FL.
• The R.W. “Buddy” Burnishke Award (for outstanding journal article), The Association for Educational
Communications and Technology (AECT,10/2018)
• Two Excellent Faculty in Academic Service (Senate Program Review Team, 2015; Senate Research and Grant
Team, 05/2018), FGCU, FL
Back to Profile List