Kevin Aho, PhD
Back to Profile List
EducationPhD Philosophy, University of South Florida
MA Philosophy, University of Utah
BA Philosophy, Idaho State University
SpecialtiesExistentialism, Phenomenology, Hermeneutics, Philosophy of Health and Illness
Courses OfferedPHP 3786 Existentialism
PHM 3101 Philosophies of Liberation
PHI 3223 Philosophy of Human Communication
PHI 3456 Philosophy of Health and Illness
PHI 4938 Capstone Seminar in Philosophy
PHP 4930 Major Figures in Philosophy
PHI 3930 Special Topics in Philosophy
- Contexts of Suffering: A Heideggerian Approach to Psychopathology (Rowman and Littlefield, 2019)
- Existential Medicine: Essays on Health and Illness, K. Aho (ed.) (Rowman and Littlefield, 2018)
- Existentialism: An Introduction (Polity, 2014)
- Heidegger’s Neglect of the Body (SUNY Press, 2010)
- Body Matters: A Phenomenology of Sickness, Disease, and Illness, with James Aho (Lexington Books, 2009)
- Dostoevsky’s Notes from the Underground, K. Aho and C. Guignon (eds.) (Hackett, 2009)
- Recent Articles and Chapters
- “Notes from a Heart Attack: A Phenomenology of an Altered Body,” Phenomenology of a Broken Body, E. Dahl, C. Falke, and E. Erikson (eds.) (Routledge, 2019)
- "Dostoevsky, Existential Therapy, and Modern Rage: On the Possibility of Counseling the Underground Man." Journal of Humanistic Psychology, 2019.
- Authenticity and Social Critique,” with Charles Guignon, The Cambridge Companion of Philosophy, 1945-2015, K. Becker and I. Thomson (eds.) (Cambridge University Press, 2019)
- “Temporal Experience in Anxiety: Embodiment, Selfhood, and the Collapse of Meaning,” Phenomenology and the Cognitive Sciences, 2018.
- “Affectivity and its Disorders,” Oxford Handbook of Phenomenological Psychopathology, G. Stanghellini, M. Broome, P. Fusar-Poli, A. Raballo, R. Rosfort, and A. Fernandez (eds.) (Oxford University Press, 2018).
- Neurasthenia Revisited: On Medically Unexplained Syndromes and the Value of Hermeneutic Medicine,” Journal of Applied Hermeneutics, 2018.