Kara Lefevre, PhD
Back to Profile List
EducationPostdoc: Boreal Avian Modelling Project (Université Laval, Québec) and Postdoc Teaching Scholar (Michigan State University, FIRST IV)
PhD: Ecology and Evolutionary Biology / joint degree in Environmental Studies (University of Toronto)
MSc: Biology (Queen's University, Canada)
BSc: Biological Sciences, emphasis in Wildlife Ecology (University of Guelph, Canada)
Research and Teaching InterestsDr. Lefevre is an ecologist, ornithologist and science educator with an interest in consequences of human activity for biological diversity, including impacts on species distributions, behaviour, and ecosystem functioning. She has conducted field studies of bird populations and behavioural ecology in a variety of temperate, arctic and tropical ecosystems. Other areas of interest include teaching methods for ecology, seed dispersal, restoration ecology, wildlife management, biodiversity policy, and the interplay between science and politics.
Courses OfferedGeneral Ecology
Scientific Process / Environmental Research Design
Current Topics in Environmental Studies
- Lefevre, KL. 2018. Black Skimmer (Rynchops niger), In Neotropical Birds Online (T. S. Schulenberg, Editor). Cornell Laboratory of Ornithology, Ithaca, NY, USA.
- Cumming SG, D Stralberg, KL Lefevre, P Sólymos, EM Bayne, S Fang, T Fontaine, D Mazerolle, FKA Schmiegelow & SJ Song. 2014. Climate and vegetation hierarchically structure patterns of songbird distribution in Canadian boreal region. Ecography 37:137-151.
- Lefevre, KL, S Sharma & FH Rodd. 2012. Moderate human disturbance alters composition of rainforest plant and bird communities. Biotropica 44: 427-436.
- Cumming, SG, KL Lefevre, E Bayne, T Fontaine, FKA Schmiegelow & SJ Song. 2010. Toward conservation of Canada's boreal forest avifauna: design and application of ecological models at continental extents. Avian Conservation and Ecology 5(2): 8.
- Lefevre, KL & FH Rodd. 2009. How human disturbance of tropical rainforest can influence avian fruit removal. Oikos 118: 1405-1415.