Dr. Laura Frost is Associate Dean for Faculty and Graduate Affairs and Professor of
Chemistry in the College of Arts and Sciences. Prior administrative experiences include
Director of the Whitaker Center for STEM Education at FGCU. She is a creative, project-oriented
thinker that enjoys challenges. She received her Ph.D. in Chemistry with a concentration
in Biophysical Chemistry from the University of Pennsylvania. Her research interests
include the use of evidence-based teaching practices in the STEM classroom to provide
equitable access to STEM learning for all students as well as appropriate program
evaluation and assessment. She has been PI on several grants from the National Science
Foundation. She is also co-author of a chemistry textbook for nonmajors published
by Pearson Education. Dr. Frost is a long-time member and has held leadership roles
in the American Chemical Society, the Textbook and Academic Author's Association,
and the Network for STEM Education. She resides in Fort Myers with her family.
- Ph.D. in Chemistry, Biophysical concentration, University of Pennsylvania
- B.S. in Chemistry, Kutztown University of Pennsylvania
Identifying opportunities to innovate, Finding unique solutions to unique challenges,
Evidence-based teaching and learning.
Research and Teaching InterestsToggle Research and Teaching Interests
- Faculty Professional Development (K-16)
- Scholarship of Teaching and Learning
- Program Assessment
- Evidence-based teaching practices
Courses OfferedToggle Courses Offered
- Chemistry and Physics for Nurse Anesthesia
- Organic Chemistry
- Beharry, Z., Johnson, K. & Frost, L. (2021). Girls in engineering, math, and science:
A successful program for middle school girls and college females in Southwest Florida.
In Wiest, L., Sanchez, J. & Crawford-Fere, H. (Eds.), Out-of-School-Time STEM Programs for Females: Implications for Research and Practice
Vol. II (pp. 71-96). Information Age Publishing, Charlotte, NC.
- Frost, L., Goodson, L., Greene, J., Huffman, T., Johnson, B., Kunberger, T. (2018).
SPARCT: A STEM Professional Academy to Reinvigorate the Culture of Teaching. Journal of STEM Education, 19(1), p. 5-12.
- Chomey, A. and Frost, L. (2015). GOB Chemistry: Nurses tell us what they need to know.
The Chemical Educator [Online] 20, p.21-24; DOI 10.1333/s00897152602a. Invited article.
Conference PresentationsToggle Conference Presentations
- Frost, L.*, “Evidence-based pedagogical elements that can improve student learning”,
Roundtable discussion at TAA Annual Conference, Philadelphia, PA, June 2019.
- Frost, L., “Fundraising 101”, Roundtable discussion at Network for STEM Education
Centers Conference, Omaha, Nebraska, June 2019.
- Frost, L., “When the going gets tough, how do students evaluate and adjust their learning
approaches”, 2YC3, Orlando, FL March 2019.
Grants & AwardsToggle Grants & Awards
- Over $1M in grants from the National Science Foundation
- Over $1M in grants from the Richard M. Schulze Foundation
- Over $1M in scholarship dollars from the Blair Foundation
Back to Profile List