Rhodes, Lyndsay (PhD)
Back to Profile List
EducationPostdoctoral fellowship in Medical Oncology from Tulane University, 2010 - 2014
PhD in Biomedical Sciences from Tulane University, 2004 - 2010
BS in Biology from Pfeiffer University, 2000 - 2004
Research and Teaching InterestsPrimary areas of interest include: cellular and molecular biology, cancer biology
As faculty at FGCU, I am able to split my time between my two career passions, teaching and research. For more than a decade I have been dedicated to cancer research and uncovering the underlying molecular mechanisms driving these insidious diseases. My research in breast cancer specifically has spanned molecular and cellular techniques from in vitro cell culture, to animal models, to big data bioinformatics analysis. However, the central theme of my research has remained the same; to understand the interactions driving cancer in order to develop better therapeutics for patient care.
My current research interests included development of natural compounds for therapy, understanding the role of non-coding RNA in cancer regulation, and exploring the role of the extracellular matrix composition and architecture in the progression of cancer.
I have mentored over 40 undergraduate research students who have gone on to pursue successful careers in all areas of biology. Engaging students in authentic research experiences, involving them in all areas of the scientific process, is key to training the next generation of cancer researchers, and is paramount to furthering our understanding of cancer.
Courses OfferedCurrent Courses
BSC 4930 Special Topics in Biology: Cancer Biology
BSC 4910C Senior Project I: Research (Annually Fall)
BSC 4911 Senior Project II: Presentation (Annually Spring)
ISC 3120C Scientific Process (Annually Summer)
PCB 3023C Cell Biology (Annually Fall and Spring)
PCB 4783C Cell Membrane Physiology
BSC 1010C General Biology I
BSC 4933 Current Topics in Biology
BSC 4900/4905 Directed Independent Study/Research in Biology
Conference PresentationsSelected Scholarly Works (* denotes undergraduate author)
- Margarite D Matossian, Hope E Burks, Steven Elliott, Van T Hoang, Annie C Bowles, Rachel A Sabol, Bahia Wahba, Muralidharan Anbalagan, Brian Rowan, Mohamed E Abazeed, Bruce A Bunnell, Krzysztof Moroz, Lucio Miele, Lyndsay V Rhodes, Steven D Jones, Elizabeth C Martin, Bridgette M Collins-Burow, Matthew E Burow. Drug resistance profiling of a new triple negative breast cancer patient-derived xenograft model, BMC Cancer 2019, 19: 205.
- Xylia J Horgan*, Hannah Tatum*, Emily Brannan*, Daniel H Paull, Lyndsay V Rhodes. Resveratrol analogues surprisingly effective against triple‑negative breast cancer, independent of ERα, Oncology Reports 2019, 41(6): 3517-3526.
- Jesse Champer*, Sarah Cushion*, Sierra King*, Carlee Rushlow*, Bertin Cenatus*, Lyndsay V. Rhodes. Effects of Resveratrol Analogues on Danio rerio Mortality and Embryonic Development, Eastern Biologist Special Edition; Zebrafish as a Model System for Research and Teaching 2019, 1: 90-100.
- Margarite D Matossian, Hope E Burks, Annie C Bowles, Steven Elliott, Van T Hoang, Rachel A Sabol, Nicholas C Pashos, Benjamen O'Donnell, Kristin S Miller, Bahia M Wahba, Bruce A Bunnell, Krzysztof Moroz, Arnold H Zea, Steven D Jones, Augusto C Ochoa, Amir A Al-Khami, Fokhrul Hossain, Adam I Riker, Lyndsay V Rhodes, Elizabeth C Martin, Lucio Miele, Matthew E Burow, Bridgette M Collins-Burow. A novel patient-derived xenograft model for claudin-low triple-negative breast cancer, Breast Cancer Research and Treatment 2018, 169(2): 381-390.
- Adrienne K Conger, Elizabeth C Martin, Thomas J Yan, Lyndsay V Rhodes, Van T Hoang, Jacqueline La, Muralidharan Anbalagan, Hope E Burks, Brian G Rowan, Kenneth P Nephew, Bridgette M Collins-Burow, Matthew E Burow. Argonaute 2 expression correlates with a luminal B breast cancer subtype and induces estrogen receptor alpha isoform variation. Non-coding RNA 2016, 2(3): 8.
- Lyndsay V Rhodes, Elizabeth C Martin, H Chris Segar, David F B Miller, Aaron Buechlein, Doug Rusch, Kenneth P Nephew, Matthew E Burow, Bridgette M Collins-Burow. Dual regulation by microRNA-200b-3p and microRNA-200b*-5p in the inhibition of epithelial-to-mesenchymal transition in triple-negative breast cancer. Oncotarget 2015, 6(18): 16638.
- Lyndsay V Rhodes, Chandra R Tate, Van T Hoang, Hope E Burks, Diari Gilliam*, Elizabeth C Martin, Steven Elliott, David B Miller, Aaron Buechlein, Douglas B Rusch, Haixu Tang, Kenneth P Nephew, Matthew E Burow, Bridget M Collins-Burow. Regulation of triple-negative breast cancer cell metastasis by the tumor suppressor Liver Kinase B1. Oncogenesis 2015, 4(10): e168.