Melodie Eichbauer, PhD
Back to Profile List
EducationPhD., History, The Catholic University of America, 2010
M.A., History, The Catholic University of America, 2004
M.A., Medieval Studies, Western Michigan University, 2000
B.A., History, Western Michigan University, 1998
Research and Teaching InterestsTeaching Interests: Law, Politics, and Religion
Research Interests: Legal History and Ecclesiastical History
- Edited with Robert A. Ventresca, Cambridge History of the Papacy, Vol. 2: The Pope and Church Governance (Cambridge University Press), submission date of 31 January 2022.
- Editor, A Cultural History of Genocide, Vol. 2: The Middle Ages (London: Bloomsbury Academic Publisher), in production. Contributors: Jonathan Elukin, Edward Schoolman, David Bachrach, Bernard S. Bachrach, Kenneth Stow, Anna Sapir Abulafia, Alex Mallett, Alan Murray, Piotr Gorecki.
- Edited with Danica Summerlin, The Use of Canon Law in Ecclesiastical Administration, 1000-1250 (Medieval Law and Its Practice 26; Leiden: Brill, 2018). Contributors: John S. Ott, Mia Münster-Swendsen, Melodie H. Eichbauer, Jason Taliadoros, Greta Austin, Danica Summerlin, Stephan Dusil, William L. North, Kathleen G. Cushing, Louis I. Hamilton, and Bruce C. Brasington.
- Edited with Kenneth Pennington, Law as Profession and Practice inMedieval Europe: Essays Dedicated to James Brundage (Farnham, Surrey; Burlington, VT: Ashgate, 2011).
Journal Articles and Essays
- "Introduction," A Cultural History of Genocide, Vol. 2: The Middle Ages, ed. M. H. Eichbauer (London: Bloomsbury Academic Publishers), in production.
- "Legal theory amid practice: Property and tithing rights in the summa of Stephen of Tournai," Proceedings of the Fifteenth International Congress of Medieval Canon Law, 17–23 July 2016, Paris, eds. Franck Roumy et al. (Monumenta iuris canonici, Series C: Subsidia, 16 (Vatican City: Biblioteca Apostolica Vaticana), in production.
- "Gratian and the Proliferation of Law in the Twelfth Century", Cambridge History of the Papacy, Vol. 2: The Pope and Church Governance, eds. M. H. Eichbauer and R. A. Ventresca(Cambridge University Press), submission date of 31 January 2022.
- "Law in Service of a Community: Property and Tithing Rights in Gratian's Decretum and Stephen of Tournai's Summa," in The Use of Canon Law in Ecclesiastical Administration, 1000–1250, eds. M. H. Eichbauer and Danica Summerlin (Medieval Law and Its Practice, 26; Leiden: Brill, 2018), 69–88.
- with Danica Summerlin, "Introduction," in The Use of Canon Law in Ecclesiastical Administration, 1000–1250, eds. M. H. Eichbauer and Danica Summerlin (Medieval Law and Its Practice, 26; Leiden: Brill, 2018), 1–22.
- with Edward Peters, "Canon Law," in Oxford Bibliographies in Medieval Studies, ed. Paul E. Szarmach (New York: Oxford University Press, 2018), DOI: 10.1093/OBO/9780195396584-0033.
- "The Bishop with Two Hats: Reconciling Episcopal and Military Obligations in Causa 23 of Gratian's Decretum," in Civilians and Warfare in World History, eds. Nicola Foote and Nadya Williams (Cass Military Studies; London-New York: Routledge, 2017), 120–139.
- "Rethinking Causae 23–26 as the Causae hereticorum," Zeitschrift der Savigny-Stiftung für Rechtsgeschichte, Kanonistische Abteilung 101 (2015): 86–149.
- "Medieval Inquisitorial Procedure: Procedural Rights and the Question of Due Process in the Thirteenth Century," History Compass 12, no. 1 (2014): 72–83.
- "Gratian's Decretum and the Changing Historiographical Landscape," History Compass 11, no. 12 (2013): 1111–1125.
- "From the First to the Second Recension: The Progressive Evolution of the Decretum," Bulletin of Medieval Canon Law, New Series, 29 (2012): 119–167.
Dr. Eichbauer serves as program coordinator for the BA in History and as a member of the Office of Undergraduate Scholarship Leadership Team.