Mendible, Myra (PhD)
Back to Profile List
EducationPh.D., University of Miami, 1993
SpecialtiesComparative Literary and Cultural Studies
Research and Teaching InterestsCultural Theory, Ethnicity and Race, Media Culture, Literature and Politics, Gender Studies
- "Silence Amid the Din of War: Sound and Vision in Brian Turner's My Life as a Foreign Country." War, Literature, and the Arts, forthcoming, Fall 2019.
"Cultural Disenfranchisement and the Politics of Stigma." Ethnic Studies Review, University ofCalifornia Press, forthcoming, Fall 2019.
- American Shame: Stigma and the Body Politic, Myra Mendible, Editor. Indiana University Press, 2016.
- Race 2008: Critical Reflections on an Historic Campaign, Myra Mendible, Editor, Brown/Walker Press, 2010.
- From Bananas to Buttocks: The Latina Body in Popular Film and Culture, Myra Mendible, Editor, University of Texas Press, 2007 (reprinted 2008).
Recent Peer-Reviewed Articles and Book Chapters
- “Saving Face: Shame, Humiliation, and the Affective Economy of War.” War, Literature, and the Arts. vol. 28, 2016.
- “Race, Politics, and the Humanities in the Age of ‘Posts.’” special issue of Humanities, Guest Editor Myra Mendible vol. 5, no. 3, 2016.
- “Scarlet-Letter Politics: Racial Shaming in the Campaign to Unseat President Obama.” Ethnic Studies Review, vol 35, no. 1-2, 2015.
- “Post-Vietnam Syndrome.” Yellow Peril! An Archive of Anti-Asian Fear. John Kuo Wei Tchen, Ed. London, New York: Verso, 2014. Print.
- “Literature as Activism: Ninotchka Rosca’s Political Aesthetic.” Journal of Postcolonial Writing Volume 50, Issue 3 (May 2014): 354-367. Print.
- “Human Dignity, Humiliation, and the Erosion of the Humanities.” International Journal of the Humanities 9 (2012).
- “Race and Politics in the Age of Obama.” Special Issue: “Post-Race America.” Journal of Research in American Civilization [Revue de recherche en civilisation américaine] 3 (2012). Online <http://rrca.revues.org/index489.html>
- Review of Unsettling the Bildungsroman: Reading Contemporary Ethnic American Women's Fiction by Stella Bolaki Rodopi. Postcolonial Text 7.1 (2012).
- “A Feral Beauty.” Unspoiled: Writers Speak for Florida's Gulf. Eds. Janisse Ray and Susan Cerulian. Heart of the Earth Press: 2010.
- “Post Vietnam Syndrome: National Identity, War, and the Politics of Humiliation.” Radical Psychology: A Journal of Psychology and Politics v 7 (Fall 2009). Online archive: http://www.radicalpsychology.org/vol7-1/mendible.html
- "Big Booty and the New Sexual Aesthetic." American Sexuality. National Sexuality Research Center, San Francisco State University (January 6, 2009). (Selected AlterNet’s Top 5 Most Popular Articles of 2009). Online.
- “Storytelling and the Politics of Exile.” Telling Stories to Change the World: Voices on Building Community and Claiming Social Justice, Ed. Rickie Solinger. Routledge, 2008.
- “Chica Flicks: Postfeminism and the Latina American Dream.” Chick Flicks: Contemporary Women at the Movies, Eds. Suzanne Ferriss and Mallory Young. Routledge, 2007
- “Sexy Señoritas and other Imperial Fantasies: US Foreign Policy, Domestic Fictions, and the Latina Body.” Screening the Past: An International Journal of Media and History 20 (Dec. 2006).
- “Dominance and Submission in Postmodern War Imagery.” Peace Review: A Journal of Social Justice 17.1 (2006).